Time for a new camera - suggestions?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm in the market for a new digital camera. Something better than a point and shoot, but I don't need an SLR. I have owned and used several of the Canon G series, and I'm leaning toward the G11. Sub $500 range, with manual settings and a nice sized LCD. Any others I should consider?

:photo:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
My brother-in-law just got the G11. I like the detachable/rotating LCD screen - that's a pretty slick improvement over my G9.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
My brother-in-law just got the G11. I like the detachable/rotating LCD screen - that's a pretty slick improvement over my G9.

Yeah, I like that feature too. That was a feature on the G1-G6, then they did away with it for the G7-G10 and reintroduced it on the G11. How does your bro-in-law like the G11?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
His wife has it in her hands every time I see her (including last night at Casa Bonita :eek:). They were in the same boat as many - downsizing from an SLR, but wanting more out of a P&S. I think they both really dig it.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
His wife has it in her hands every time I see her (including last night at Casa Bonita :eek:).

That could make a good sig quote :hill:

I have an older Canon S- series that I really like. I have a Rebel but I'm tired of hauling lenses that I may or may not want/need to use ... the SX20 IS is on my short list as a replacment for both.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
G11

This is a GREAT camera...I've read that many pros (nikon and/or canon users) will choose this G11 as their "point and shoot" camera. IMO Canon's got the market on point and shoots...they are just plain better than the others. Especially when you look at the shutter lag numbers. I say...get it! :D

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Martin, I purchased the Panasonic Lumix LX3 for work, and I really love it. The pictures it takes are amazing for a point and shoot. It has a Leica F/2 lens the makes all the difference. It also boasts a much larger CCD than most small cameras. The price is $100 less than when I bought it a month ago.

Here's what sold me on it: DPReview's 2008 holiday prosumer Enthusiast digital compact comparison. Here was their conclusion:

The Panasonic LX3 gets so many things right that we knew before we started it would be the camera to beat in this group. It's not that it has the highest measurable resolution (the Canon G10 wins that one) or the biggest zoom range (in fact its one of the smallest here), or even that it offers the most intuitive controls (never going to be the case with a camera so small). No, what's so impressive about the LX3 is that Panasonic has actually produced a camera aimed at photographers, not one designed by a marketing department. So instead of going for the easy option of adding even more megapixels and beefing up the other headline specs, the designers concentrated on the things that actually matter to a photographer.

Thus we get a fast zoom with a real wideangle, a superb screen and excellent image quality, including high ISO performance puts most competitors to shame. The LX3 is positively understated compared to some of its competitors, which loudly proclaim the 'bigger is better' rather than 'less is more', and it's a far, far better camera for it. It's small enough to carry anywhere, fast and subtle enough for street photography and good enough to produce a decent 8x10 without the need to use raw.

Of course it's not perfect; the controls are pretty fiddly (as it's so small) and there's no telephoto to speak of, but if you want telephoto you're not going to be considering this camera. If you want more SLR like controls and a longer zoom - and don't mind the bulk - go for the Canon G10. Me personally? By that point I'm using an SLR. For a carry anywhere 'walk around' camera I'd go for the LX3 every time.​

I love my big Nikon D200, but the LX3 fits in my coat pocket. I pretty much have it with me where ever I go.

If you want to try it, I'll bring it to the next RS meeting.

Edit: I added a picture of the Leica version for comparison.

Attachments

• LX3_front-001.jpg
    LX3_front-001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 4178ihd4ptL._SS500_.jpg
    4178ihd4ptL._SS500_.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Matt,

I think that panasonic is basically this leica for less $$. I may be off here, but that was the dinner table conversation we had about it a few months ago.

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_4/

My folks got the leica this winter and I got the chance to use it a lot over the christmas break. I liked it a lot. The panasonic you posted is what I was thinking about getting.

I just bought a panasonic Lumix for work:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

and have to say that it is a really nice camera.. but then again anything is nicer than my old coolpix...

It takes GREAT close up shots.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt,

I think that panasonic is basically this leica for less $$. I may be off here, but that was the dinner table conversation we had about it a few months ago.

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_4/

My folks got the leica this winter and I got the chance to use it a lot over the christmas break. I liked it a lot. The panasonic you posted is what I was thinking about getting.

Same camera, half the price. Plus, on the Lumix version you don't have to buy the hand grip separate.

The forums say that Leica processes the images slightly better on the version with their name on it, but it sounds like a negligible difference.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The Lumix LX3 looks intriguing. I'd like to check it out, thanks for the info Matt. :beer:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
A couple of more things to read:

Samsung's High-Performance Compact Camera
Samsung has announced four new point-and-shoot cameras, including a high-performance compact with a very bright lens.
(This one probably fits into the same category as my Lumix camera that I like so much).

Video: Annual Sub-$300 Camera Roundup
David Pogue tests nine point-and-shoot cameras that cost less than $300.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Did you buy a camera? Panasonic just announced the new version of the LX3: the Panasonic Lumix LX5. Gizmodo has an article on the new camera. DPReview has a review too. The new camera will be priced at $500 and will probably be a little hard to get.

The price for the LX3 is really good right now. It's ~$386 on Amazon. This camera takes awesome pictures. I sometimes think it's better than my Nikon D200.

Attachments

• 500x_lumixlx5.jpg
    500x_lumixlx5.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 225

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Funny that this thread is back to the top, as just today I tripped while walking on the 40's Only Pre run with my old canon in my hands and it hit a rock as I hit the ground. The lens/zoom mechanism got fubared, so I'm definately getting a new cam now. The Lumix LX5 sounds great, but not sure I can wait until late August for its release.

Last edited:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
depending on what you need...

...my wife just got the panasonic waterproof/shockproof/kidproof one. it's very nice camera, easy to use and takes great pics. not much shutter/focus lag as far as I can tell.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I decided on the G11 over the Lumix LX3 (or waiting for the LX5) and ordered it today. We really liked the flip out screen and optical viewfinders on our older G series cameras, and the the small size of the LX3/5 and similar Canon S90 weren't as big a selling point for us. I'll let you know how it works when I get some time with it. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. :thumb::beer:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm sure it's the Canon. He was using the Canon G2 with the flip out screen.

G11 will be a sweet camera. Looking forward to more of your pics!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm sure it's the Canon. He was using the Canon G2 with the flip out screen.

G11 will be a sweet camera. Looking forward to more of your pics!

Yep, I've had a Canon G3 and G5. So went with the G11. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. :photo:

allroundview.jpg

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Saaah-weeeeet!

that thing is such an awesome camera. can't wait to see the pics...should be pretty sweet.