Thor's Lighting compressors, anyone use one?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Watching the video and noticed the momentary shutdowns @nakman and just as I was going to ask you said "it seems pretty hot." Wonder if they put in any sort of thermal cut outs. If you have a one of those IR thermometers maybe you can correlate the hiccups with a temp peak. Especially since what's hot is the manifold that's insulated from the compressor by that rubber pigtail hose, so the compressor must be quite hot if all that heat is transferred just by the air.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Watching the video and noticed the momentary shutdowns @nakman and just as I was going to ask you said "it seems pretty hot." Wonder if they put in any sort of thermal cut outs. If you have a one of those IR thermometers maybe you can correlate the hiccups with a temp peak. Especially since what's hot is the manifold that's insulated from the compressor by that rubber pigtail hose, so the compressor must be quite hot if all that heat is transferred just by the air.
Yeah I don't know what happened to my IR thermometer, that's a good idea though. What is odd about the shut-offs is they happen fairly early in the cycle- like 20-30 seconds into airing up. And then it happens 2-3x, every 20-30 seconds or so. But then if you're airing up for say 4-5 minutes, that last couple of minutes will be completely uninterrupted. if you look at the video again, flip to the 14:20 mark where I start a 2 minute test. 2 stops within the first minute, the last minute no stops... counter to a thermal shut-off as the longer this runs the hotter it gets. I'm going to get more info when I meet with these guys again in a couple weeks..

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Interesting. From that description I wonder if it's controls related, weirdness in their algorithm or in the motor driver circuit. Do hear any relays clicking or chattering? They might be using a FET switch, which could explain some things.

Since they mention it in their manual it's likely more an engineering curiosity than a problem. But even if that's the case it's odd things like this that you have to consider because while I might notice and figure out it's nothing a layperson thinks their compressor is broken when it's not and that's a marketing and customer service headache.

tacomaJoe73

Rising Sun Member
I sold my JK, and got one for my Tacoma after checking a demo unit out at 14er-Fest.. had higher volume than a dual ARB and I got it from Thor's garage sale for $140. Works great for me, haven't found a reason to be upset with it yet. Filled me & another truck up darn fast on the snow run.. fwiw & I didn't notice it running hot.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Tim I will try mine out this week and also ask the guys tomorrow. You may have been given a used or returned unit when you were at the shop! It was a little crazy that day.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So. The reason it starts and stops is is doing a live airflow analysis and has to stop occasionally to let everything equalize to see if it needs to continue. Actually pretty sophisticated stuff, and was designed and 'invented' by Thor's but was copied by Chinese manufacturers within a few months.
They came up with a pretty slick portable compressor and I'm sure it was quickly knocked off by copycats. But there's not much new conceptually, programmable air compressor controllers have been around for decades.

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
NAPA one says China, reviews go back a couple years. Amazon ones I found also are China. To be expected, better is at least assembled in USA better of course would be manufactured in USA.
As stated above as soon as your manufacturing in China you're getting your ideas copycated.