Thinking about regearing

Ric

hey all,
well ive got a 1999 4runner, 33"s and would like to get it regeared, going up the mountains is killing me :D im pretty sure i want to go to 488s but im looking for a good reliable shop in north denver, westminster etc, and about how much would it cost ?
thankx for any input.
Ric

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
You cant be as bad as us little 4runners(1st gen and any other with the 4cylinder) going up the hills. Had 4.88's and was doing like 3rd gear almost second up Vail etc.. Then went to 5.29's. Now I can stay in 4th most of the time :D . AS for yours, think 4.88's would be a good set up. Shops, dont know to many?? Maybe Off Road Solutions??....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
ORS , also don't forget about Sleeoffroad , you may be suprised at what they're willing to do to a Runner sometimes.. but I agree, 4:88's sounds perfect for 33's. And a good time to install a locker, if needed. hth..

Ric

thankx for the replies, ill give them a call, ive got the e-locker so im set there, BUT as my experiance get better, i will want a front locker, but noy right now, im still learning :rolleyes:

Ric said:
thankx for the replies, ill give them a call, ive got the e-locker so im set there, BUT as my experiance get better, i will want a front locker, but noy right now, im still learning :rolleyes:

It's called the Evil Seed.

It's that idea, that gets planted in your brain...and the next thing you know, all your time and money are being poured into it. Ask me how I know. :D

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
don't know the cost, Ric.

Hi Ric. Love the new front bumper.

When I do gears, it isn't cheap. The gears are what...$250, the solid spacers are about $50 and the basic install kit is about $125. Add $250 for labor and you are looking at about $1000-1200 to do both ends. (just a guess). Lucky for me I work for cheap. You guys with the fancy front diffs that are split down the middle and have to do everything up just to check the backlash and/or the pattern might face higher costs on the front diff too.

That reminds me, I'll post a new thread on a question I have.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I was going to have Robbie at Slee put 4.88's in mine before I decided to go with the Marlin. Robbie and Christo have experience with this and get things done promptly.

Seldom Seen said:
Hummm.... I smell a R&P party :D

[sniff, sniff] Mmm, hypoid. Smells like carnage, and fun!!!

I installed my own R&P's (5.83's), and ARB's at the same time. I believe Toys and Zuks are the same, in that they have a removable 3rd member "chunk" or carrier. Makes the job a lot easier.

I did NOT trust my lack of experience, in the final adjustment - I took both chunks up to Spidertrax (they're a major player in the Suzuki aftermarket and custom world) for final adjustment. I gave them my old 5.125's (stock) as payment. Since I snapped my axles at Moab, I had to drop the back diff (to get the sheared-off piece of the axle out. I figured I'd be able to double-check the wear pattern... Surprise, there's still no noticable wear! Unfortunately, Calmini, who had the gears custom made for them, by Richmond Gear, is no longer dealing with Richmond... :rolleyes:

Before I did this, I had NEVER EVEN THOUGHT of cracking a diff open - now, I'll tackle anything.

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
I've learned alot in the last year-or-so, thanks to our very own Red Chilli.

Common how hard can it be, it ain't brain surgery and I've done that. :cool:

Brian.