"The Tractor" 1997 HDJ81 Build

cohdj81

New-ish
Hi all, medium time reader, first time poster here. Looking forward to attending my first meeting in the coming months. In the meantime, figured I would post a build thread to get myself introduced.

This is my 1997 HDJ81, imported from Japan in May of 2023, I bought it in October 2023 from JDM Sport Classics in Michigan with around 216k KM. I am the first US owner aside from the shop who imported it. I flew out to Michigan and drove it the whole way back to Denver over 2 days. Fortunately, it gave me no headaches and did not seem to burn any oil during the drive back. The worst part of the whole drive was that the aftermarket radio installed by a previous owner was shot, so I spent the two day drive listening to music as loud as my phone speaker could muster. Worst part of my ownership experience so far was getting through the Denver Emissions Technical Center for a DR2365 prior to emissions testing. Some of you may have seen my ordeal on the ih8mud forum, fortunately, I survived and managed to convince those folks that the 1HD-FT did not come with a catalytic converter.

From what I've gathered based on the oil change stickers under the hood, this vehicle spent most of its life in Southern Japan in the vicinity of Kurume City. The vehicle came with a plethora of maintenance records and other documentation that I have only scratched the surface of since I cannot read any Japanese. One of the cooler finds is the original owner's manual, also in Japanese. The previous owner was also nice enough to leave me their good luck charm so I keep it in the vehicle to continue it's worldwide journey.

IMG_7562.JPG

Here's a photo of me with it the day I purchased, a very cold and gloomy day in Central Michigan.
jdmsc.png

As for the build itself, I am primarily building this to comfortably complete trails like Red Cone and Top of the World, but not for extreme rock crawling or trails which present significant risk of body damage or rollover. I enjoy dispersed camping and have built a modest camping setup in the back which I have yet to use. My vision for this build is to eventually be triple locked on 35's. My current garaging situation does not accommodate a rooftop tent, so sleeping in back or using my ground swag will be my camping style for the foreseeable future.

Will do my best to keep the mod list updated as the build goes on, in no particular order:
  • Custom wood storage/camping platform
  • Atoto 10in radio with carplay
  • Pioneer door speakers
  • Dobinsons 3in suspension lift
  • Dobinsons IMS shocks
  • Dobinsons adjustable front panhard
  • Dobinsons LSPV bracket
  • Dobinsons snorkel
  • ARB Deluxe Bull bar
  • Badland Apex 12k synthetic line winch
  • Steel rock sliders custom fabbed by First Choice Fabrication in Englewood
  • Custom 3inch exhaust with Magnaflow muffler by AA Performance Muffler in Englewood
  • Slee extended brake lines
  • OME Caster correction bushings (until I can fork over the cash for Delta arms)
  • Toyo Mud Terrain 285/75/16 (Falken Wildpeak AT3W 315/75/16 ordered waiting for delivery)
  • Midland MXT115 GMRS Radio mounted, have a spare/freebie Baofeng handheld GMRS as well.
Couple pics of the build included below as it sits today:
IMG_7523.JPG
IMG_7289.JPG
IMG_7006.JPG

cohdj81

New-ish
I'll start off the conversation by asking.... what are people doing for center console fridges now that the Dometic CF11 is discontinued? With my camping setup in the back seat, I don't think I'll have the space to mount my larger 42qt 12v fridge. I would like to get a 10-15qt fridge as a center console replacement. I don't need a whole lot of fridge space when camping, just enough for some sweet tea, cold brew coffee, and a couple burgers.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If that’s your office parking that’s really close to my office as well. Would be fun to come have a look at lunch sometime!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I saw you a few months ago at Central Park and I-70 in the morning. I was in my Sage 40th anniversary 80 and waved. Sweet HDJ81, the black looks really nice in person.

cohdj81

New-ish
If that’s your office parking that’s really close to my office as well. Would be fun to come have a look at lunch sometime!
I live and work in the vicinity of DTC, let’s make it happen! Cruisers and coffee for lunch one day

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I'll start off the conversation by asking.... what are people doing for center console fridges now that the Dometic CF11 is discontinued? With my camping setup in the back seat, I don't think I'll have the space to mount my larger 42qt 12v fridge. I would like to get a 10-15qt fridge as a center console replacement. I don't need a whole lot of fridge space when camping, just enough for some sweet tea, cold brew coffee, and a couple burgers.
I spent some time thinking about one of the off brand console fridges that are on Amazon. It looks like it would be a tight squeeze but may fit. I think it was going to sit a little higher than I would have liked and possibly a little too far into the back seat area, but was intriguing enough that I have not completely abandoned the idea yet.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I live and work in the vicinity of DTC, let’s make it happen! Cruisers and coffee for lunch one day
I'm in the same place, just north of Cherry Creek Reservoir. I'll add +1 to the Cruisers 'n coffee.
Great looking truck. The 1HD is the tractor motor the 80 needed.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
With my camping setup in the back seat, I don't think I'll have the space to mount my larger 42qt 12v fridge.
I sleep in the back of my 1996 FZJ80 next to a large Dometic fridge/freezer on a slide contraption. It's fine for me but I don't have a dog sleeping with me. I had more room when I had a smaller ARB fridge on a much simpler and more compact slide contraption.

cohdj81

New-ish
I'm in the same place, just north of Cherry Creek Reservoir. I'll add +1 to the Cruisers 'n coffee.
Great looking truck. The 1HD is the tractor motor the 80 needed.

Sounds like DTC would be pretty central then. Maybe Greenwood vlg cafe just off the reservoir dam road?

I sleep in the back of my 1996 FZJ80 next to a large Dometic fridge/freezer on a slide contraption. It's fine for me but I don't have a dog sleeping with me. I had more room when I had a smaller ARB fridge on a much simpler and more compact slide contraption.

I would have to change up my mattress situation but this is an option. My current plan is to use my mattress from my swag as it fits perfectly in the back right now but leaves no room for a fridge. Not enough space behind either seat for a fridge if I am taking my dog and girlfriend unfortunately. This is what makes me think a decent side center console fridge like the one linked above by @Pz10420 would work well.

I can see myself going the rooftop tent route eventually then reworking my storage, but not until I have a taller garage. My insurance stipulates my cruiser must be garaged and I’m not in a rush to figure out what happens if it’s not lol

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds like DTC would be pretty central then. Maybe Greenwood vlg cafe just off the reservoir dam road?
Never been, sounds great. I WFH, so my schedule is pretty flexible. I don't want to hijack the thread, so we can organize another post, or put something together via DM/text. The more the merrier.

I gave up on sleeping in the 80 along time ago. We pulled one of the passenger (Driver side) seats as it's normally just the two of us + a dog. Cramming that much human and fur in the back complicates our packing situation. A fridge makes it impossible for me to stretch out. It takes up the space where the seat used to be. We just leave stuff in the back and throw up a tent like non-Brohverlanders.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Heck, that's 15 minutes away from home and even closer to my office. I'm in.

Not enough space behind either seat for a fridge if I am taking my dog and girlfriend unfortunately.

Yeah, if you're bringing your girlfriend, you need more space. My setup is snug for one person.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Gotta revive the DTC lunch club thread…

cohdj81

New-ish
ccsp 35s.png

Quick trip to Discount Tire has the Land Cruiser sitting real good now. New shoes mounted today, 315/75/16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's.

Have a little bit of lean going which is exacerbated in this picture by the angle of the boat ramp. I need to get around to the last couple supporting mods to officially finish the lift install.