• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

the definitive snorkel thread.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wes said something in Treeroot's Ptarmigan thread that reminded me of one of the discussions currently taking place in my head, so I wanted to start a separate thread to hash this out. I am getting real close to doing the Landtank MAF sensor mod. I'd like a little more power, but hopefully better fuel economy, so "more air" seems like the right direction. But no, I'm not giving up manifold cooking or the York, so we'll be sticking with the naturally aspirated options. However you tell me if that matters here.

Pros of the snorkel:
-Cooler, cleaner air intake since it's up higher.
-Ability to consume more air.

Cons of the snorkel:
-Have to drill a big hole
-Idiot magnet
-More drag?

The Toyota OEM snorkel looks like this:

Attachments

• oem_snorkel2.jpg
    oem_snorkel2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 471
  • oem_snorkels.jpg
    oem_snorkels.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 407

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The Safari Snorkel looks like this:

Attachments

• Snorkel_Romer.jpg
    Snorkel_Romer.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 893
  • snorkel_250.jpg
    snorkel_250.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 376

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The intake hole for the OEM one is right where the power antenna is (on an 80) so you will either need to remove that, or try to relocate it. With the Safari, the intake hole is further up the fender, so you can keep the antenna in the stock location but you need to melt a little reveal in order to insure continued smooth operation. It also looks like you give up the "ram air" effect with the OEM snorkel, since they've got that big satellite dish/prefilter deal on there.

I don't plan to/expect to cross deep water with either option. My main reason would be better performance, even though that discussion seems to go around and around and get no where. So someone who's done more research than me set us straight here... :beer:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Because the radar dome kicks a$$. OEM rocks. That is all.

The oem has a precleaner. You're not going to get any ram effect with it.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I like the Safari look much better. As for performance, I think it's mostly "seat of the wallet", as in "I just spent a bunch of money and I know it made a difference".

I'd get the Landtank MAF mod and do the snorkel if you like the look. I did think it made a difference on my old XJ, but it's really not a "performance difference" in the sense that you'll still bog down on the same hills as you do now. The Landtank MAF mod has other benefits, and dollar for dollar I think it's a no brainer. Except that you don't get a "periscope" :hill:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Having installed one on an 80, The Safari has a straight shot down and then a larger rubber hose going straight into the aircan. What I aw of the OEM goes in where the antenna is and then out to the air cleaner where the Safari is, so another 90 degree turn maybe cutting down airflow. Does it really matter because it can only take so much air? Haven't a clue.

I will tell you getting the bolts on that part where the antenna is located is very very tight and my arm was bruised as far as I had to shove my arm in there. That was just to get 1 bolt. I would ask someone who has done OEM how tight it is getting that setup in. It's obviously doable, but I would think more difficult than the Safari.

I think there was a thread where someone took the top part of the OEM and fitted it to a safari, That might be worth doing and I might go for a group buy on the top part to play with it.

What I did on the Safari, is found the cheapest online price and went to 4wd parts who matched it. Christo gets my money for bumpers, drawers, sliders, frigs etc. I have no problem with saving a few bucks on something sold everywhere.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Cons of the snorkel:
-Have to drill a big hole
-Idiot magnet
-More drag?

Once more "con", having to repeatedly hear,"What's that thing?". :mad:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I think that was the idiot magnet part...

So do Aussie 80s not have radios? 'cept'in' for VHF/UHF?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So if you guys agree the only two benefits of a snorkel are cleaner air and more air, and you agree that OEM is less air than Safari, then only reason to pick OEM is looks?

I'm definitely starting with the MAF mod first, then see where this goes.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say thats the only benifit. I measured significant intake temp reductions. I would have to search, but somewhere in the 30 to 40 deg F range. BUT My SC makes it hotter there so your mileage may vary.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I'm definitely starting with the MAF mod first, then see where this goes.

Not to hijack you're thread but did you get Landtanks housing or work out a "deal" with him? :D Maybe we need a MAF thread as well...I'm waiting for feedback from Hants on his thoughts...

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Not to hijack you're thread but did you get Landtanks housing or work out a "deal" with him? :D Maybe we need a MAF thread as well...I'm waiting for feedback from Hants on his thoughts...

Hijacker :rolleyes:

Both Uncle Ben and I also have it.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hijacker :rolleyes:

Both Uncle Ben and I also have it.

Yeah, but you guys have the "Powah' mod" which is like comparing our golf carts to your Porsches :hill:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah curb your hijacks.. but know that good stuff is in the works ;)

Does the housing do anything for normally aspirated trucks?
Yes, you'll find that the truck will run smother, has better throttle response and reports have indicated better fuel mileage of 1 mpg around town. On the highway the truck will down shift much less and deal with hills better.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Not to suggest that Landtank hasn't done great work when I say this:

I wonder how much of the gains have to do with the sensor alone on a normally aspirated truck. That seems to be the bigger bit of it for those who don't necessarily need to extra "headroom" for forced induction.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That's what I'm hoping for Nay, that without a super charger and without a snorkel that I'll still get a nice little kick, beyond the "seat of the wallet" placebo effect. that's a great term, BTW. :thumb: But I don't think that undermines any of Rick's intentions at all, everyone should see results from this, not just the S/C'd or the snorkeled.

But how much better does it get or can it when you add those extras will likely continue to be the debate.