The 40 got some new rubber for Moab

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Still have a few things to do before Cruise Moab '07, but I finished a lot this weekend. I did a brake job, including extended, braided steel lines. New shackles, U-bolts, skid plates, shims and bushings for the suspension. And some new rubber shoes. I drove it to work this morning and it drives great. I was expecting it to feel a lot different with the Super Swampers, but no ill effects. I can't wait to get it on the trails. :D

Attachments

• newshoes.jpg
    newshoes.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Sweeet Martin! what's the specs on the swampers!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thanks. Super Swamper LTB's 34x10.5-15 on the stock steel wheels. :thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Awesome!!!

FJBen

looks sweet!!!! Really makes me want to get some Q-78's!!!!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looking good, should grip very nice on the trails.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
One of the coolest sizes of all time for sure. You will love the swampers off-road, on road... get a amp for your stereo!

Looks great!

Drew

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Looks great martin :thumb:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for all the comments. I'm really happy with the choice of tires. I was thinking of trying the Q78's but I think they would have been pretty close to the wheel well in the back since the tub is uncut.

A testament to the sidewall toughness on these tires; I had the tires mounted to the wheels while I was working on the brakes. I picked up the wheels from the tire shop and brought them home and mounted them up. I didn't bother to check the air pressure. I took it for a quick test drive to see how the brakes felt. I noticed it felt kind of squirrely steering. When I got back and parked I noticed one of the rear tires looked a little lower on air. I put the air pressure guage on it = Zero psi!! and the tire was still holding up the weight of the 40! :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Awesome awesome!

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
looks great! where did you buy them and did you get a good price? I'm in the market for the same tires.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
looks great! where did you buy them and did you get a good price? I'm in the market for the same tires.

4Wheel Parts and Discount Tire had them for the same price, $134. No shipping charges since they had them in the local warehouse. I used 4 Wheel Parts mainly because they are closer to me.

I inquired about the 34x9.50-15 SS TSL's also, but no one had them locally and they would have to be ordered, shipped, more expensive, etc.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
A testament to the sidewall toughness on these tires; I had the tires mounted to the wheels while I was working on the brakes. I picked up the wheels from the tire shop and brought them home and mounted them up. I didn't bother to check the air pressure. I took it for a quick test drive to see how the brakes felt. I noticed it felt kind of squirrely steering. When I got back and parked I noticed one of the rear tires looked a little lower on air. I put the air pressure guage on it = Zero psi!! and the tire was still holding up the weight of the 40! :hill:

Martin, very nice :thumb:

Did you call the tire shop about the lack of air in one tire? I know people run lower pressure on the trail but I guess I would wonder if the rim did any internal damage to the inside wall of the tire driving around on the road with Zero psi? I'm a "tire challenged" sort of person so maybe that isn't a valid concern.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+

Did you call the tire shop about the lack of air in one tire? I know people run lower pressure on the trail but I guess I would wonder if the rim did any internal damage to the inside wall of the tire driving around on the road with Zero psi? I'm a "tire challenged" sort of person so maybe that isn't a valid concern.

swampers usually need breaking in before they really grab well, plenty of people will run them on the pavement for a few miles or more with little to no pressure. It'll help break in the stiff sidewalls :)

Bub

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Super Swamper LTB's 34x10.5-15 on the stock steel wheels. :thumb:

That is exactly what I want to run on my 40. Are you lifted at all? I know you mentioned tub is not cut. Also please post how you feel about them after CM.

wesintl

RS Moderator

Pleanty of folks run 0 all the time in swampers. They aint no triply toilet paper sidewall... :lmao:

FJBen

Thanks for all the comments. I'm really happy with the choice of tires. I was thinking of trying the Q78's but I think they would have been pretty close to the wheel well in the back since the tub is uncut.

My tub is uncut and I can clear my 35's when stuffed...although a Q78 has some more beef than my BFG's :rolleyes:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Pleanty of folks run 0 all the time in swampers. They aint no triply toilet paper sidewall... :lmao:

Told you I was "tire challenged" :D

So much to learn, so little time

MDH33

Hard Core 4+

No concern really. The sidewalls are so stiff that they barely bulged with no air in it. I was wondering if the shop forgot to fill it or if it wasn't sealing. I aired it back up and it has held air since. :)

That is exactly what I want to run on my 40. Are you lifted at all? I know you mentioned tub is not cut. Also please post how you feel about them after CM.

I'm running 4" SUA lift with slightly longer than stock shackles. Looks like there will be adequate room when it's flexing. I shouldn't have any rubbing, but I'll let you know after I can put the whole set-up through the paces on some trails. :D

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I'm on my second set of the 34x10.50x15 LTBs on my 62 now and consider them to be a great OFF-road tire. Suck on road as they are bias ply tractor tires basically, but off road they are damn near bullet proof, literally. The big lugs work like a steamboat paddle wheel grabbing everything in sight and their toughness is legendary. On slickrock, they aren't the stickiest rubber in town and may let you down when having a sticky tread and a super pliable sidewall that can let the tread wrap around every little nook and cranny keeps you moving in the desired direction. Last year at Double Whammy, I tried ten different approaches and angles but just couldn't get over the bottom hump and I have to believe it was the tires not wrapping themselves around the rock the way a radial tire might have. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, anyway! Still, for the great majority of wheeling conditions that we experience in the great Rocky Mountains, the Swamper LTBs are a super tire and they are priced considerably below most competing tires at this size. For anyone else that might be shopping at 4Wheel Parts Warehouse, tell them you saw an online add for less than their advertised price and if you catch the sales person feeling macho, they might just drop the price to match the price you quoted them. My last set were $117 a piece.