• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Thanks to Bill Morgan, too bad he was helping an idiot!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I was putting the rivunts in to hold the subtank today. After some work, I got three out of the 4 rivnuts in. The 4th wouldn't go and the hole just got bigger and bigger.

So I call Mr. Morgan and he kindly welds the bracket on at that location for me. I am not concerned, because that side has a hinge so I can still hinge the bracket down and remove the tank if required.

Turns out the pedestal/hinge assembly for one side of the tank is longer than the other, and I had Bill weld the wrong side on.

How bad is it to have the welded one removed without damaging it?
I would then need to weld the other bracket in it's place.

You learn more from your mistakes then your successes, I did an aweful lot of learning today:(

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I was able to remove the bracket without damaging it so I can proceed.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ken, thanks for making me feel better knowing even the experienced folk make mistakes :)

The difference is I've been working with pretty good instructions and still manage to muck stuff up :hill:

I told Christo that I would "idiot proof" his instructions for him and I've kept my word so far :lmao:

Can't wait to see that subtank installed :thumb:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
What is a subtank?

What is a subtank? Something used to maintain depth when you submerge?

Just how air-tight are those FJ80s?!

"COMSUBPAC to Romer, Blow your main ballast subtank and engage your locker. Prepare to surface."

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hey, Ken, do you still need me to weld the 'correct' one on the correct side?
We could plate the spot to provide an adequate load-bearing surface to weld onto... the thought of you driving down I-70 dragging your tank and making big sparks might keep me up at night...
Sure, it's only 13 gallons - have you ever tried to pick up 13 gallons? Toyota definitely did not overbuild that hanger design with one bolt and a nutsert!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
That would be great Bill. When do you have time?

Thanks again, and sorry to have asked you to do the same thing twice.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
No worries. Tonight perhaps if it ain't rainin'. Tuesday I need to be in Boulder, as well as Thursday, and Wednesday we have a Bible study at our house.

Sheesh, it's only Monday and my week is booked!!! Wassup wit dat?

If all else fails, if you can be at my house Wednesday at 3:15 PM, I will get right on it hammer and tongs.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bill, You have a lot going on. I went out and had it welded on this morning. Thanks for your help

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Okey doke. You're not just being nice and actually had somebody who welds purtier do it, are ya?
:lmao:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Okey doke. You're not just being nice and actually had somebody who welds purtier do it, are ya?
:lmao:

No, your welds were awesome. Just seemed like you had a lot on your plate.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:thumb:
Let me know if you need anything. You were not an imposition at all! Happy to help.