Talk me out of a Heep...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What's your budget / target condition? If you're looking for a $2k Cruiser, that's quite a bit different than a $10k Cruiser.

Heck, I can think of another solution for you. Buy a Celica GT convertible. It will sit nice next to your 80 and balance the 80 out. You'd get speed, better mileage and your drop top. They are readily available. They are fairly inexpensive to buy and they are inexpensive on repairs. Then you would be never tempted to take it off road.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
ginericfj80 said:
Heck, I can think of another solution for you. Buy a Celica GT convertible. It will sit nice next to your 80 and balance the 80 out. You'd get speed, better mileage and your drop top. They are readily available. They are fairly inexpensive to buy and they are inexpensive on repairs. Then you would be never tempted to take it off road.

heck, not a bad idea! I would probably buy another old mustang convertible if I went that route.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Any 40 experts want to give me some advice? I'll buy the beer next meeting. Email me at timmbuck2@yahoo.com so I can email you some pics. Thanks.

TB2

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I'm not a 40 expert, let alone an expert on anything. But food for thought...

I was, and still am a little, a died in the wool Rover guy. Pre-92 only, as they were "electronics free" ( no abs, all were coilers, no traction assist). Basically 3/4 ton trucks with creature comforts. Much more "soul" than my 80 could ever have. Just a flat out cool vehicle. That being said, I don't have to worry about that "coolness" ever getting in the way on a trip, around town, or even just trying to get out of my driveway in the 80.

My point? I love vehicles with personality. Hell, I have a tricked out vespa for crissakes. BUT, if I were to buy a 40, I wouldn't touch one that hadn't been gone through by someone else already, or hadn't been kept up well, and I would expect to pay upwards of 9~15k for one. To me, the up front pain of purchase would make the "coolness" that much more worth it.

As for cj/yj/tj's, the quality control just isn't there. It is after you have replaced everything, and that can be cool, but I have never seen one I would own that hadn't had axles/tranny/t-case/steering/top swapped out. The 6 cylinder motor is a beast, and quite good imho, but the manual tranny's leave a lot to be desired.

As for 40's, I have always been amazed by the durability and strength of stock 40's. I have been in many areas of the world, and I have seen a bunch of stock 40's and LR's, but NEVER did I see heeps in these places except m141's.

If I were looking for a fun convertable type wheeler, I would by a disco, rangie or 60/62 and cut the top off and rhino-line the interior, or a 84-85 four-runner with a soft top. The only jeep I would buy for this purpose would be a commando. They are cool, cheep, and fun, with no real mechanical shortcomings other than axles, and those are bolt ins from anything with 44's.

j

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
nope....never heard from anyone and he sold it...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
nope....never heard from anyone and he sold it...

Why didn't you post up some pictures and details here? We would have given you all the advice in the world.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Why didn't you post up some pictures and details here? We would have given you all the advice in the world.

I was being selfish and didn't want anyone else to know about it. :eek: My fault...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I was being selfish and didn't want anyone else to know about it. :eek: My fault...

I know how that is, what with the recent crap of the 45 on Craigslist that ended up on eBay. You can always send a PM to a group of us with pics and details attached. None of the RS members would buy a Cruiser out from under you.

Feel free to send questions to me, anytime. There are plenty of other folks in the club who would be glad to help you evaluate a Cruiser as well.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I know how that is, what with the recent crap of the 45 on Craigslist that ended up on eBay. You can always send a PM to a group of us with pics and details attached. None of the RS members would buy a Cruiser out from under you.

Feel free to send questions to me, anytime. There are plenty of other folks in the club who would be glad to help you evaluate a Cruiser as well.

that 45 did end up on ebay?!?!

I trust you guys...it is the lurkers I am unsure about...

Thanks all!

T

FJBen

I know how that is, what with the recent crap of the 45 on Craigslist that ended up on eBay.

Link??? not that I didn't know it was going to ebay...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
the 40 I was looking at was the $650 one on Craigslist with no motor or tranny. he sold it 2 days ago...guess where it is now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963...76QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6443QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a drag dude. For $650, that would have made a decent starter rig. If you're looking for something old and cool, to drive around town, a '63 certainly would have been pretty neat.

However, if you're building a rock crawler, you'd be better off starting with a 1976 or newer rig -- fewer things to replace, fewer weak points.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
That's a drag dude. For $650, that would have made a decent starter rig. If you're looking for something old and cool, to drive around town, a '63 certainly would have been pretty neat.

However, if you're building a rock crawler, you'd be better off starting with a 1976 or newer rig -- fewer things to replace, fewer weak points.

the guy emailed me and told me the first guy flaked out on him, did I want the truck? I said yes, when can I come see it? The next day he puts it back on Craigslist, then emails me that it is sold. GRRR....

would the no-title thing have been hard to deal with?

T

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The no-title thing is something other members have dealt with. I think if it was last registered in Colorado, that makes it pretty easy. If it is out-of-state, it's a bit harder.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Don't worry. I don't think it'll go anywhere for $1600. It's not worth 1k IMHO... $650 I could see.