• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

SuperLOW.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I already have stupid low. I'm finally going to join the club.

AA.gif

Not what I wanted, but the at the price I picked this up for, brand new, in box, I can't complain.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Yeah. I've had a tcase sitting first in my living room, now in the garage, for months now. Its been taunting me. I was going to get the clocked marlin, but this was under half the cost. Guy just wanted it out of his place. Can't really beat that.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
AA *is* the older Marlin design. :thumb: Just keep an eye on the coupler, and the bearings. Wear items. Not horrendous to replace when the time comes.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Good to know Bill. I will keep an eye on things. How long is the wear cycle? 2 years? 5 years?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
My AA unit has been in there for what? 5 years? Still waiting for it to break.

It is loud, but hasn't gotten any louder over the years.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
mine is even older than that, one of the first that Marlin ever did(originally made by AA) and its still going strong, there have been a couple of revisions since then.

congrats :) You'll love the additional options and wonder how you ever did without it :)

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Super low is always fun, the control you get is amazing. Enjoy it, I know I do ;-0

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Good to know Bill. I will keep an eye on things. How long is the wear cycle? 2 years? 5 years?
Dunno, but Marlin says that is why he redesigned it. I did see some posts on Pirate about wear and such, one guy had it pretty bad. But that was Pirate :rolleyes:
Wouldn't lose sleep over it.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I won't. I'm pretty that no matter what product is out there, some guy on Pirate has managed to break it. I figured it'll be fine.

What is "loud"? "Loud" sounds to me like "bad". Is it a hum, or more like a growl?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Loud = gear chatter when running down the highway. Cheeseman's original Marlin did (does?) it too. Not a hum, not a growl, an intermittant chick-chick-chick-chick kind of sound that goes from louder to softer when running down the highway.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Hmmm. This sounds bad.

I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Is there any way to get rid of it? As in, you haven't done since you'd have to yank it out, but I could do before it goes in?

And how loud are we talking. Enough to be covered by radio, or really annoying.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Well, we'll see when it gets here I guess. Looks like it was too good to be true. Ah well.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
leines drives his everywhere, if it was more than just a "turn up the radio" problem it would've gone by now. I wouldn't sweat it, I would install it and go have fun :) you'll be just fine.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I got a transfer case from Marlin with a 4.7 in it that did that. BAD. He replaced it. He told me later that the gear itself had a minor ding from shipping, and that was the cause. He dressed it with a diamond file, and it was good as new - in fact, he resold it as new, which it really was.
I just "QA'd" it for him.
:lmao:

That is exactly the kind of sound it made, only mine was REALLY bad. It was a very minor ding. You might take yours apart sometime Rudy.

However, I am noticing my R151 is really loud too, made worse by the fact that my shift tunnel cover is not anywhere close to sealed since the body lift. I asked Marlin about that, and he said the gears in the 151 are so big and heavy (first gear in particular) that there is just no way to make it quiet, nor shift like a sports car. The price you pay for toughness. I know you run a 151 also, Rudy, so it may in fact be the 151.

I aim to 'fix' mine by making a well-sealed shift tunnel cover. My original design has some bugs anyway. Hard to remove really. The shifter needs to be remade to clear everything a bit better, just gonna use some 1/2" rod or something and make it snaky.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, we'll see when it gets here I guess. Looks like it was too good to be true. Ah well.
No it ain't. It's all good.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Good.

This makes me mucho happy.

Now, I need to focus on the wiring. Gotta keep reminding myself, "One project at a time".

LOL

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
[snort]
Good luck with that one project at a time thing... I've never been successful at it.:hill:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Gear clatter?

Man, take a ride with me in the 40 and listen to every squeek, rattle and clang from windows, seals, latches, everything! :D

A little click might make for nice company on long trips.

Sounds like a great score Isaac!

Drew

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Got it today.

However, too sick to do anything except open the box, and look inside.

Ugh.