Stubborn Bolts

I spent the last few days replacing the body bushings on my '85 4Runner and adding a 0.5" lift. The good side is that the kit from Roger Brown's 4Crawler was perfect (and his service & advice is excellent). However, I didn't get longer bolts so getting the nuts back on was a pain, but once torqued, everything was fine. That is, except the front two bushing bolts. Rust has fused the metal sleeves to the bolts. I've been spraying them with PB Blaster twice a day and they do look better, but I don't think they are going to come off. Since the bumper is in the way, the space around the bolts is limited. I'm willing to replace the bolts. Any suggestions on how to remove them? I do have a Dremel tool with a re-enforced cut-off wheel, but I'm worried that there isn't enough room. I guess I could use a torch...

Matt

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Is a body bushing the same as a body mount? Are runners same as cruisers? If yes, yes, you'll probably have to cut it off. Or maybe just torque it so hard that the head twists off. When I removed the body mounts on my 76 FJ40, some heads twisted off, some I cut off, and couple actually came out by undoing them...amazing!

If space is tight, the dremel's probably your best bet. If the bumper's in the way, how hard would it be to take the bumper off? You may consider torching as a last resort, the burning rubber smells really bad :-(

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I had good luck with sazall

Just pulled 40 off the frame. I tried cutting torch. Seemed to set the bushings on fire and didn't really get the bolts out just made a big mess. I got a few different size blades and sawed out the bushings then through the bolts. If you try to get through in one shot the blade will bind on the rubber. Some were best cutting free from the frame, then cutting the remaining bolt off after the body was removed. 4" and 4 1/2" grinders got me knowwhere. Dremel tool was totally useless.

PB Plaster, BFH, Dremel Cutoff Wheel

I finally managed to get the bolts out of the bushings after repeated applications of PB Blaster, a BFH, and a Dremel cutoff wheel. What a mess. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Matt