• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

String out lights: Starlink

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Alright, so this string of lights just flew over the house. Someone was saying star link but I disagree. I don't know. I would say it's flying northbound.

Attachments

• 20220722_215358.jpg
    20220722_215358.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 78

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
That was last night, ten minutes before I posted it. Was at @stusic talking diesel things and they flew over.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You can always follow them with satellite predictors. This is one example but any of them will work.

That's what you saw. It'll happen again tonight at about the same time.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 11.48.27 AM.png

Last edited:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Saw them on Friday evening as well. They must have been quite low, they were far brighter than the other starlink sat chains we have seen.

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Looking crowded up there and only about half the intended have been deployed. Satellitemap.space
614211CD-01A9-4722-A3A2-9408C298CEE0.png

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Ohh and what GPS satellites might you be connected to?
70E54956-E7BE-4B2F-841C-338F4103E0E4.png

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We aren't that far from just moving their observation equipment into space... Problem solved!
I was curious and I'm sure you're amongst the no doubt vast, vast number of others who might be too.

I count 683 observatories on this list (this includes spacecraft)

So I drilled down. There's been 117 launched, 39 still active.

16 gamma ray (5 active)
38 x-ray (11 active)
22 UV (7 active)
12 visible (8 active)
13 IR and sub-mm (4 active)
4 microwave (1 active)
2 RF (zero active)
9 particle (3 active)
1 gavity (zero active)
13 to be launched

Doesn't really mean anything, just an observation. Pun intended.

Does seem like a lot of hardware to be obsoleted or at least hobbled. That seems unfortunate.

It's not 100% overlap since some of the space observatories do things that couldn't be done from Earth in any case. There's also been many spacecraft launched that are not in orbit but other than Voyager they're still in our Solar System so the stars are for orienting themselves still.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The NY Times has some great motion graphics showing satellites in a recent article they did on StarLink. Scroll down and you can see all the geosynchronous satellites.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I was curious and I'm sure you're amongst the no doubt vast, vast number of others who might be too.

I count 683 observatories on this list (this includes spacecraft)

So I drilled down. There's been 117 launched, 39 still active.

16 gamma ray (5 active)
38 x-ray (11 active)
22 UV (7 active)
12 visible (8 active)
13 IR and sub-mm (4 active)
4 microwave (1 active)
2 RF (zero active)
9 particle (3 active)
1 gavity (zero active)
13 to be launched

Doesn't really mean anything, just an observation. Pun intended.

Does seem like a lot of hardware to be obsoleted or at least hobbled. That seems unfortunate.

It's not 100% overlap since some of the space observatories do things that couldn't be done from Earth in any case. There's also been many spacecraft launched that are not in orbit but other than Voyager they're still in our Solar System so the stars are for orienting themselves still.
This graph is what has sold me that we are starting a real space race. The cost per Kg is set to drop to levels that wouldn't have been believed just 20 years ago. As I understand it, many of these telescopes and observatories would obtain better results as well if they didn't have to pass through the atmosphere.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
What if the blanket of starlink satellites are just an elaborate way of hiding something nefarious?

IMG_2063.jpeg