Stolen Catalytics near DIA

J1000

Rising Sun Member
While I have this idea that the airport could do more, I'd put my money on them having spent a lot more time looking at this issue than we ever will.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it likely doesn't matter if they intercept these guys or not if they get released the next day and are back with a bit more experience on how to avoid getting caught.
Yep, in CO auto theft is a tiered crime based on the value of the vehicle. If it's under a certain amount of money it's a misdemeanor, if it's above $xx then it's a felony. Not only that but having a tiered system allows prosecutors to offer plea bargains to lower the severity of the crime. So yes they can be out of jail same day. It also offers the thieves legal defenses they can argue our 20 year old Toyotas are only worth $2k. Denver and other "progressive" cities do this all the time and put criminals back on the streets in record time.

"Under current law, the severity of criminal offenses for auto thefts in Colorado depends on the value of the stolen vehicle — ranging from a class 1 misdemeanor for a car worth $2,000 or less, to a class 3 felony for a car worth $100,000 or more."

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
"Under current law, the severity of criminal offenses for auto thefts in Colorado depends on the value of the stolen vehicle — ranging from a class 1 misdemeanor for a car worth $2,000 or less, to a class 3 felony for a car worth $100,000 or more."
So basically, they are incentivized to target the poor.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yep, in CO auto theft is a tiered crime based on the value of the vehicle. If it's under a certain amount of money it's a misdemeanor, if it's above $xx then it's a felony. Not only that but having a tiered system allows prosecutors to offer plea bargains to lower the severity of the crime.
I don't know why auto theft should be different than other common theft. Grand theft in Colorado is $2k (class 6) or more (up to class 2) and is tiered, too.

A theft is a theft. You took something and some arbitrary value doesn't make it any more or less a violation of the victim. I don't think shoplifting a Coke should be a 24-year felony sentence necessarily but at some threshold it doesn't seem like it matters. Maybe factor in restitution as a way to prevent a felony. In the end if you get back the thing or pay for it then did a crime still happen?

Even if you set some number, I dunno $500, I've got some things that have relatively little monetary value but I'd be crushed if they were stolen. But getting in to the mind of someone and trying to acknowledge some indefinite "intent" is a slippery slope. You have to be impartial, it's either a crime and punishment or it's not.

Last edited:

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
We had some cars stolen on our Prius. The littleton police are as bad as the Denver police. It took place in the middle of the day, we had it on video, and they seemed not interested in investigating.

You could think about some prevention to make your life easier. I will say this, if you haven’t had your cats stolen it’s not as if you won’t be paying because all of our insurance rates to continue to go up as these things continue to happen.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't know why auto theft should be different than other common theft. Grand theft in Colorado is $2k (class 6) or more (up to class 2) and is tiered, too.

A theft is a theft. You took something and some arbitrary value doesn't make it any more or less a violation of the victim. I don't think shoplifting a Coke should be a 24-year felony sentence necessarily but at some threshold it doesn't seem like it matters. Maybe factor in restitution as a way to prevent a felony. In the end if you get back the thing or pay for it then did a crime still happen?

Even if you set some number, I dunno $500, I've got some things that have relatively little monetary value but I'd be crushed if they were stolen. But getting in to the mind of someone and trying to acknowledge some indefinite "intent" is a slippery slope. You have to be impartial, it's either a crime and punishment or it's not.

What you just posted is a non political statement. I don’t know anyone that would disagree with this, but it would seem if you watch the legislation that continues to get passed that our representatives are out of touch with there own constituents. Oh well.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What you just posted is a non political statement. I don’t know anyone that would disagree with this, but it would seem if you watch the legislation that continues to get passed that our representatives are out of touch with there own constituents. Oh well.
It's borderline non-political but I tried since this was not in nor I think intended (tough call, see) to be a political thread.

But how much of a PITA it is to deal with is pretty obviously a political issue. Not in any small part because the victim is doubly disadvantaged. We're prevented from putting a perfectly suitable replacement in lieu of one that costs ten times what it should due to other legislation. It's pretty much the same thing inside but a little tag on it is akin to being blessed by a CARB priest.

In fact the whole situation made worse by the black market created as unintended (or perhaps just unacknowledged) consequences for now very valuable catalytic converters. Would they be stolen if they were $200? Probably. But at $2,000 the incentive is greatly increased.

Last edited:

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
The supply of carb cats is limited. If you get a cat stolen it could take months to get a carb cat. One Toyota I worked on needed a new cat took months to find a carb cat. The Colorado Air resource board had to be contacted because we couldn't find one. We ordered the one they recommended. It took some fabrication to make it fit. It was an expensive repair for a old car.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I am the latest victim of the CAT STEALERS!!! I parked my 80 series at the RTD bus park and ride near flatiron mall and took the bus to DIA. When I returned back and started my truck, I knew immediately what happened. My dash camera picked up the entire event, which took less than 30 seconds for them to cut my 2 cats and drive off. My cats were welded together due to a hole I could not get to stop, so they would be very easily identified, if anyone cared to do so. I have reported this to the police and to USAA, but I'm sure their estimate will come back super light.

I am hoping to replace all the way up to the header since they cut the end of the Y downpipe as well. It was nice that they did leave me my 02 sensors which were new(er) and OEM Toyota. Has anyone used a shop on the north side for OEM exhaust or cats? Or should I look into using the shop down south? Obviously they are going to have to find CARB compliant Cats for this...or get approval to not use.

It's kinda crazy that they took 29 year old CATS with likely VERY LITTLE platinum left in them? I'm sure my cats were about ready to give out anyway ;)

TIA for any recommendations on how I should go about getting a good estimate on replacement of most of the exhaust, as I can't really drive the truck all over the place with how loud it is right now!!!

IMG_7515.jpeg