• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Stevinson Toyota West service dept. reference check

Dmitry

Lifted
I'm considering dropping off my 4Runner there to replace the radiator and all the hoses and top off coolant and ATF as a result of the radiator replacement. I was wondering if anyone here has used Stevinson recently for light service like this and if so, were there any problems with their work and how did they take care of them?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm considering dropping off my 4Runner there to replace the radiator and all the hoses and top off coolant and ATF as a result of the radiator replacement. I was wondering if anyone here has used Stevinson recently for light service like this and if so, were there any problems with their work and how did they take care of them?

I’m not sure which way things have gone since being purchased. Before they were purchased, I wouldn’t have recommended taking a rig there for service due to several issues I had after they serviced my 200.

I’d recommend ATLR, or Japanese auto, or L1 in Loveland

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I took my 200 in for driver side seatbelt recall work and they were clearly uninterested. I made the appointment months in advance and took it in right at opening, my appt was at 7am. I was told it would be a couple hours to do the work. After 2 hours I went to go see what was up and my car was still sitting where it was when I arrived. I asked what was up and they said they were backed up. I waited 2 more hours and see my car sitting out in the lot like it was finished. I asked again what was going on and they said that's not your car, it explained that it was because I can see the identifiers that would make it only mine. He said let me check. He took 30 minutes more to "check". Turns out it was done, and it was my car. They are just poor at communication and time management. I wouldn't go back for those reasons. I get that things come up and can take longer than expected, but I expect that to be communicated to me as the customer when I'm literally a few steps away.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I second Jackson's recommendations and add https://www.garageworksauto.com/ Owner Matt Radder has an excellent reputation and is a friend. They work on plenty of Toyotas. I've also been a 20+ year occasional customer of the Toy Shop. https://thetoyshopdenver.com/ Greg is owner.

Markofsky Garage is my go-to shop. Coincidentally I have new hose-pick tools arriving today and I also have one of those cool cable fed spring clamp removal tools

I have never used dealer service but by all accounts, barring a personal connection or something super-specific and sophisticated beyond the capabilities of an independent shop, I do not go to dealers for service.

When replacing radiator and hoses you would always be replacing all coolant.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
We just had my wife's 2019 highlander in for its 65,000 mile service at Stevinson this week. As part of there service they tested the battery and told my wife that the 2 year old toyota brand battery was bad and needed to be replaced. Luckily we still had the receipt for the battery so we were able to go to the parts department and swap out the battery. Only issue was Stevinson wanted to charge my wife 33 bucks to install the battery even though the battery was replaced under warranty. So when the car was ready to be picked up I took my wife down to get the car and swapped the battery out in the parking lot in front of Stevinson.

While in the process of swapping out the battery I noticed that they left the radiator over-flow cap off after they checked it and didn't fill the washer fluid even though they checked the box saying the washer fluid was full. When my wife got home there was just some random light laying on the seat. Not sure where it came from or if it's from her car or someone else's car. My wife tried to text the service tech a photo of the light but they can't receive photo texts so now I have to drive back to Stevinson from thornton to see if the light if from her car or someone else's.
20231228_084901.jpg

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I second Jackson's recommendations and add https://www.garageworksauto.com/ Owner Matt Radder has an excellent reputation and is a friend. They work on plenty of Toyotas. I've also been a 20+ year occasional customer of the Toy Shop. https://thetoyshopdenver.com/ Greg is owner.

Markofsky Garage is my go-to shop. Coincidentally I have new hose-pick tools arriving today and I also have one of those cool cable fed spring clamp removal tools

I have never used dealer service but by all accounts, barring a personal connection or something super-specific and sophisticated beyond the capabilities of an independent shop, I do not go to dealers for service.

When replacing radiator and hoses you would always be replacing all coolant.
Good call! Matt is awesome and honest. Would definitely 2nd adding him to the list.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@jps8460 @Inukshuk I 100% agree. Matt did a ton of work on my 100 and is a super good dude. Highly recommend him.

ATLR has also done a ton of work on my 100 and 200 and are fantastic to work with. Haven't been to Japanese Auto Service in a minute, but they're also excellent, though they tend to be more expensive than the other alternatives mentioned, IME.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Unfortunately I have to give a bad review to ATLR. Had some work done on Ty's 100 last year and had to get it fixed again by the time I got to Moab. Then a YEAR later they claim I didn't pay? I have an invoice from them showing paid when I picked the truck up and paid for the work. Only $400 but they immediately threatened collections and didn't apologize for their screwup. I am taking the 60 to Toy Doctors, crossing my fingers for a better experience!

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Oh man, @HDavis and @RayRay27 your stories brought up some highly suppressed memories from my dealings with dealerships. Bought a Ranger in 2008 from then Lakewood Ford Land. Days after I noticed the windshield was de-laminating from two corners. After arguing with the tech that it was not a crack, it was inside aka. the safety lamination, they agreed to replace it. Make appointment, drop it off, pick it up. There is -whatever the black windshield goop is- smeared on the headliner. Over 6 months of dealing with the service department to get it replaced. Sounds like the service manager from there is now employed at Stevinson.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I will cut out most the narrative
Took the wife’s Camry in to STW when it was still pretty new bought new there
New enough that it was still 100%dealer maintained
The heater would blow only cool air

They diagnosed it as a cabin air filter that was missing and therefore debris got into the heater work and ruined it

The quote was a minimum of $1600 to tear the interior out to finish diagnosis and repair

I argued with their service manager about if a cabin filter was missing it was them that did that

Long story short after avoiding a physical confrontation that the service manager was obviously willing to engage in…

I took it to Larry h miller in Boulder got charged one hour labor to hook up the hvac computer diagnostics tool and reset the hvac controller

They did it while I waited and told me it was a common problem

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My story of Stevinson is similar, Mike. Will elaborate soon. Service writer was ready to go to fisticuffs with an old guy. Unbelievable.
So, I had a recall on the 100 for the airbag issue a few years back at Stevinson West that required the removal of the center console which included dealing with the CD changer there within. When I picked the truck back up after the recall work was completed the CD changer door wouldn't close rendering the player inoperative. The door had been sprung by the tech who had done the recall work. Took it back to Stevinson and they agreed that it was their fault and they agreed to replace the entire changer unit as that was what was required to make the CD player functional again. Before that was determined, however, the service writer took my ignition key and from outside the vehicle, with the key in the palm of his hand, turned the key to get the odometer reading. In doing so, he broke the fob from the key, breaking it into two pieces. I happened to be watching his ham handedness and wasn't surprised by the breakage. I mean, who twists the ignition key with the palm of their hand? He immediately claimed that it was my fault and that I had given him a cracked key purposely setting him up to fail. I said "what are you talking about" and the rage began, him making an aggressive move towards me at which point I went back into the parts area and told Derrick what had just happened. Derrick didn't seem surprised at all and said that the writer was a known hothead. He went out to speak to the service manager on my behalf and I didn't see the bonehead again. Stevinson made the issue good but it was the very last time I will ever set foot into the service department there. Derrick, Reese and Bri always take the very best care of their parts customers so I still do business there.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I had to go to Auto Nation on Arapahoe for a recall on the fuel pump in my 200 series. They called me and said they couldn't do it because of my custom skid plates in the way and there was a bolt they couldnt get off

So I went down there a bit confused and asked them to show me. They pointed to the skid plate and then I pointed to the Gas tank that wasn't covered by the skid plate. And the senior Technical persons response was "oh, never mind" I understand they don't get a lot of Land Cruisers, but still.

Where as I took my 200 in to Toy Car Care for some service, part was to flush my brake fluid. They called me and said they would do it if I wanted, but it still looked good and there wasn't a need.

Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I brought my FJC there once to have an ABS sensor replaced. I even showed them the bad sensor when they took the vehicle back. They then tried to charge me thousands for 9 hours of "diagnostic work" and the shop manager was insistant if I did not pay his tech would not get a paycheck that week.

I also brought our old lx470 there for a basic 60k service. It had brand new tires and I got a call right after I dropped it off about how all 4 were very worn and needed to be replaced.

Zero trust.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Man, you guys got it good. The local dealer here in GJ is terrible.

I went in to get a quote on parts, the 22R head gasket and 10 head bolts.

The quote for the HG was $90 and the bolts $21/each. None of it was in stock, would have to order. This was a Friday just after lunch so they wouldn't order until the following Monday (they run their daily order at 9AM) and it would be at least Wednesday in hand.

It would have been about $325 or so from Western Slope Toyota. But the full Toyota list price on the HG is $63 and $12/each on bolts. That MSRP was slightly LOWER even when I asked for the club discount.

Ourisman Toyota (used to be McGeorge) sent them to me at $42 for the HG and $8/bolt. This is about where most aftermarket places (like LC Engineering, 22RE Performance, Yota1, etc) are pricing these OEM parts so clearly the wholesale cost is probably 20% below that and Ourisman (and Olathe, etc.) are selling at around the jobber price to Internet customers.

I ordered them when I got home, Friday at about 2PM local, so 4PM in Richmond, VA. They had it all in stock and shipped about half an hour later. On a Friday afternoon!

It got delayed in Denver by FedEx for an extra day but I had them in hand Tuesday. Total with shipping and tax was $152.29.

They constantly complain that local governments and companies won't buy from them. Why should we when a dealer in Denver or SLC will come in a lot lower and ship or deliver to us? Even up to a whole new truck the dealers will do that.

It isn't 1962 anymore. I'm willing to pay a reasonably higher price for local but they are just so stubborn and dismissive. And the quotes are insulting to anyone who takes time to just punch a part number in the search bar. A 50% retail mark up over MSRP and 200% of typical Internet. Seriously? Plus, I usually do the work to just bring them part numbers. They never trust me so will only order parts in if I give them a VIN.

I know the reason, though. They are Toyota and Ford dealer with a shared parts counter. They are always working on getting Ford parts when I walk in there. Of course.

Last edited: