• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Steering Knuckle 101

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Could someone please explain the nuances of steering knuckles, i.e. years, patterns, interchangabilty, etc?

I know drum knuckles up to '75 are different than disc.
'76-'78 is small pattern steering arm?
'79-'83 is large patter steering arm?

Where do mini-truck and FJ60 knuckles fit in the scheme of things? I'd like to find some spares to add to my parts collection.

Anyone?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
afaik, 79+/fj60/early mini are the same.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
FYI, everything front-end related in non-USA FJ45s is the same as the same month/year production as their USA-spec counterpart except drums versus disks. All FJ45s came with drums up front through the end of production in 1979. I *think* you are right about the 7509-7812 being different than 7901-up, as I know for a fact the birfs are different.

Joe Calleja would know for sure exactly what the nuances are, especially stud patterns, sizes and interchangeability. Over the years, he's probably dealt with more mixing and matching than all of us put together. (303) 838-4772