steering box rebuild

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
anyone have a FSM pdf for an 86 and up steering box? Or perhaps a link to a good rebuild? I've been searching around and there really isn't much. I have heard stories about the "balls" getting out but I'm not sure where they are or if they even need to be touched to re-seal this thing. Frankly I'm not sure where its leaking from, its not the hydro fittings, so I figure a complete re-seal should do the trick. I found a thread on ih8mud but most guys just sent theirs out for rebuild, but I figured for 200 bucks they spent I can do that myself :)

it seems to be the only leak on my truck, I'd like to fix that :)

thanks!

bskey

I have a spare we could tear apart for fun!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I had one laying around but I believe it got tossed during the garage clean up. Burt Toyota had a kit ordered for me last year that I never picked up. I think it was around the $30 range. I have a extra 87 steering box that was leaking from the steering shaft input. I may go ahead and fix it and set it up for Hydro.

LMK how yours goes and I may rebuild mine ;-)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Looks like the input shaft seal does not require disassembly. :thumb:

Those IFS boxes are worth a lot. Hope it did not get tossed!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Nope sitting in the garage leaking a little fluid everyday. I plan on fixing it when I have time. Not sure if it is a spare part type thing to take along to CM and or Rubithon but ............