starter rebuild

wesintl

RS Moderator
so with a nifty 3b 70 series it has an odd ball starter.

no reman

new ~$500

where is a good old school starter rebuild shop on the south side?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
there is a good place over by the evans / south platte industrial area. I can't remember the name, but there can't be too many over there.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You're having trouble with the starter 'kicking', right?

Replace the starter contacts. Should run you about $15. Common minitruck fix, using stock Toyota parts. Don't remember the part number but Jerry at Burt should be able to help you. One will probably be nearly good, the other will be worn about 1/2 down, leading to the plunger canting, and your problem. The starter bearings should last 2x or 3x as long as the contacts (minimum), so a rebuild is not really necessary.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
There is a place, on So. Broadway: east side, south of Hampden. Let me see if I can find the name and number.

wesintl

RS Moderator
You're having trouble with the starter 'kicking', right?

Replace the starter contacts. Should run you about $15. Common minitruck fix, using stock Toyota parts. Don't remember the part number but Jerry at Burt should be able to help you. One will probably be nearly good, the other will be worn about 1/2 down, leading to the plunger canting, and your problem. The starter bearings should last 2x or 3x as long as the contacts (minimum), so a rebuild is not really necessary.

I should have mentioned that I replaced the contacts and plunger less than a year ago and I hardly ever drive the truck. Contacts look clean.

aparantly a 2lt is the same starter sans the nose cone that can be swapped. I'm going to go that route and get new equip

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wes, this isn't the place I remember. The place I remember was a little shop, and may have gone out of business.

You might try calling:

Spitzer Auto Electric
(303) 287-3414
6601 Washington
I have used them, about 9 years ago, and they know what they are doing.

AutoZap Alternators & Starters
(303) 964-5833
60 E Chenango
Denver, CO

I'll keep looking...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
+1 Spitzer (by reputation, have not used them personally)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Wes, this isn't the place I remember. The place I remember was a little shop, and may have gone out of business.

You might try calling:

Spitzer Auto Electric
(303) 287-3414
6601 Washington
I have used them, about 9 years ago, and they know what they are doing.

AutoZap Alternators & Starters
(303) 964-5833
60 E Chenango
Denver, CO

I'll keep looking...

X2 on Spitzer. I haven't done biz with them in years but when I did they were excellent and their rep is still uber high! There is an awesome place in Boulder called Venetta Auto Electric. They have done me very well countless times! I have no reason to go anywhere else!

wesintl

RS Moderator
Thanks All! Spitzer is the place I'd heard of but couldn't place.

I do think I will go with the toyota reman unit for the 2lt which is the same 2.5 kw starter. All i need to do is swap the very end nose cone which is really handy info garnered from MUD.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Don't remember the part number but Jerry at Burt should be able to help you.
Mine used 28226-72010 for the motor side and 28226-72080 for the battery side. The -72080 contact was thicker than the motor side, which presumably is an attempt to solve the wear problem. There is another battery side number, 28226-70040 which I think works on '94+ starters. The two contacts on my starters where the same width, but the battery side was thicker and so they were not identical parts.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I ended up going with a reman Toyota. Can go wrong there. I got the 2L and swapped the nose cone. Man does a new motor turn the engine over fast.

So for $122 and no core I was pretty happy that the 70 moves under it's own power again.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Woo hoo! :woot:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Nice! Good tip on the nose cone swap. What did people do before the Internets?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I need the generator rebuilt on the 64... Called spitzer and they lost their rebuilder man. Any recommendations on the southside?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I need the generator rebuilt on the 64... Called spitzer and they lost their rebuilder man. Any recommendations on the southside?

Can't help with Southside but Vanetta Auto Electric in Boulder is beyond awesome in my book!

wesintl

RS Moderator
sounds good.. Treeroot talked me into trying to rebuild it this morning. I'll give it a go then pay them double.. lol

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
sounds good.. Treeroot talked me into trying to rebuild it this morning. I'll give it a go then pay them double.. lol

You're lucky! Treeroot is mad at me and avoiding returning my call and PM's. I obviously hurt him by agreeing that "Casper" was a great second choice! :bowdown: ( ) :rolleyes: ;)