• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Spooky Night Run 2020 - Oct 24th

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Be apart of the 21st Annual Spooky Night Run!

Time to dress up those trucks for a night run on Slaughterhouse Gulch, Oct 24th. A little far out to check weather, but I'll update as it gets closer. No snow in the forecast yet, but I'll check later. Temps between 50 and 30*F.

Everyone is available to join that has a capable rig! Don't have to be a RS member so come out and join us!
This is an intermediate trail open to anyone. Bring the family and dogs if wanted. About halfway through we'll have a potluck stop for dinner on the trail before dark. There are a few obstacles that will come up after dark. I'll need a little help spotting, but we'll get everyone through. Trails Offroad Info

We will meet at the gas station(Loaf & Jug) at the intersection of Hwy 285 and Deer Creek Road ( Link ) at ~3:30 pm meet up and 4 pm departure. If we leave L&J at 4, go to the usual air-down spot, and leave the air-down by 5, we would get to the bottom by 5:45 depending on how many rigs show up. We can do the pot luck have dinner at the bottom at dusk, and head up and be back to the air-down/air-up spot by 7-ish pm, and be headed home by 8. (Thanks @Mendocino for that timeline!)

What to bring:
MASKS and Hand Sanitizer!
Recovery gear - extra gear to consider: shovels/chains
Kids
Family
dogs
Food for a potluck dinner - Reply with your dish so we can all coordinate.
Warm clothes - sun will be setting and the mountains are colder than Denver
Flashlights/lanterns

Leave your alcohol and bad attitude AT HOME!

CB
: CH 4
HAM: 146.580 MHz so we can avoid the space station repeater
GMRS: CH 16

Confirmed Trucks:
@Oh_shift
@MountainGoat
@MTSN
@On the RX
@DomOfTheDead
@joltman
@J1000
@cbranch
@coloradoadams
@MonPetiteShoe

On the fence...
@Mendocino
@AimCOTaco

***Edits for dinner plans***
BYO Dinner! Because of COVID-19 and new Denver Ordinance on gathering sizes, the potluck dinner will not happen. Masks and socially distancing of 6ft will be required through out the trip.

Last edited:

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Oh, and if you have GMRS/FRS - let's use CH 16. Why, because 4x4 is 16! 😝

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'd love to do this but I'll be fly fishing in Wyoming that day.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We are in! The kids are totally stoked.

👻

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
We are probably going to make this. Just need two bushings to make it happen.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I don't think we will participate in the potluck. As much as we enjoy cooking for others and sharing the love, I don't think its in the cards for us until this virus has run it's route.

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
I don't think we will participate in the potluck. As much as we enjoy cooking for others and sharing the love, I don't think its in the cards for us until this virus has run it's route.
Dang! I was so worried about having fun that I totally forgot about this COVID thing.:banghead:

POTLUCK IS CANCELLED.

Especially because of new Denver social gathering requirements, we'll remain distant when stopped, and wear a mask when outside your truck. As long as everyone plays nice on the radio, I think we can all have fun and be safe.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for organizing this Alex!! I’ll be in New Mexico, but there is ghostly spirit. Trying to recruit a 200 guy from mud. :)

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
I'm going to pre-run the trail tomorrow or Thursday during the day. Send me a PM if you want to join. Planning on leaving Denver between 10 and noon.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
My Wyoming fly fishing trip will likely move. If it does, we will be there in the 200.

joltman

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for organizing this Alex!! I’ll be in New Mexico, but there is ghostly spirit. Trying to recruit a 200 guy from mud. :)
I'm assuming it's me you were trying to recruit :) I told my wife about the trip. We're thinking about it! I will definitely let you guys know. I should probably buy a little air compressor for the trip. Not sure on other required air gear.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm assuming it's me you were trying to recruit :) I told my wife about the trip. We're thinking about it! I will definitely let you guys know. I should probably buy a little air compressor for the trip. Not sure on other required air gear.

Great! Don’t worry too much about buying gear just for this outing (a small compressor is a great idea in general). There will be plenty of air down/up help. Hope you can make it

Cheers!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me in. The truck is a little beat up from moab but ready to roll. The better half has a class all weekend so it will just be me.

joltman

Rising Sun Member
I spoke to a Mud forum member last night on the phone. He concurred with @jps8460 about the ease of the Slaughterhouse Gulch trail. I did watch a video on it, and it appears there are bypasses for the rough spots. I might try one, but we'll see what it's like.

@Oh_shift my wife said we can go. We're in for Saturday!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member