Southern New Mexico - Elephant Butte to Snow Lake

twopullupeddie

New-ish
I just finished up a 3 day camping/wheeling trip to Southern New Mexico. The geology of New Mexico is very interesting and demands to be explored further when the weather warms up again. The plan was to go south and find some dirt/trails that weren't completely impassable due to snow. Plus I was hoping the temps would be high enough to survive a couple nights camping out doors.

Day 1 En route to Elephant Butte Reservoir to camp on the beach.
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2290.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
WYTF6178.JPG

twopullupeddie

New-ish
Day 3 Snow Lake to Reserve, NM. New Mexico is peppered with these little towns that appeared to have been in their hey day during the '80s. Lots of General Stores with locals hanging out, talking about the weather and the chores they are about to get into. At these general stores you can pickup a pound of deli ham and a Glock if you'd like. Oh yeah, there are lots of square body Ford and Chevy pickups.
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I ❤️ solo-verlanding. Looks like a great trip. How cold were the nights?

twopullupeddie

New-ish
I ❤️ solo-verlanding. Looks like a great trip. How cold were the nights?
The high teens, maybe the low 20s. I definitely bundled up. I was really dreading the mid night nature calls though. But those nature calls gave me the opportunity to see the stars with zero artificial light interference. Truly awesome.