so gears are in the bottom bracket now

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm facing the reality that I am just so out of touch with mountain bike technology. Since when are the gears now in the bottom bracket? I just stumbled onto some pics of a bike that @aprosise made...

346079941_1301919527084902_1768500177134624617_n.jpg

I'm kinda in awe of what's going on here, I don't remember seeing this setup down at Veloswap 30 years ago.. what's the idler pulley behind the crank for, is that just to keep the belt tucked up nice and high? Or is it keeping it in tension? you guys may have explained this to me once before, perhaps it just didn't sink in. Anyway, just so impressed by what you're doing up there Adam... :bowdown: looking forward to when @rckhound has the next used bike for sale :)

I'm off to pump up the tires on the MB-1..

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I'm facing the reality that I am just so out of touch with mountain bike technology. Since when are the gears now in the bottom bracket? I just stumbled onto some pics of a bike that @aprosise made...

346079941_1301919527084902_1768500177134624617_n.jpg

I'm kinda in awe of what's going on here, I don't remember seeing this setup down at Veloswap 30 years ago.. what's the idler pulley behind the crank for, is that just to keep the belt tucked up nice and high? Or is it keeping it in tension? you guys may have explained this to me once before, perhaps it just didn't sink in. Anyway, just so impressed by what you're doing up there Adam... :bowdown: looking forward to when @rckhound has the next used bike for sale :)

I'm off to pump up the tires on the MB-1..
Man Tim, I have no idea what I'm even looking at either. I'm running a 1983 Trek 850 "ATB", from before they were even called an MTB. Then again, it's set up as an all-arounder - capable getting through the city, doing loaded touring, and hitting some dirt, but obviously not the crazy stuff Adam's bike would be able to do.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Man Tim, I have no idea what I'm even looking at either. I'm running a 1983 Trek 850 "ATB", from before they were even called an MTB. Then again, it's set up as an all-arounder - capable getting through the city, doing loaded touring, and hitting some dirt, but obviously not the crazy stuff Adam's bike would be able to do.
Well after staring at it some more it seems clear that when the suspension squishes, that the belt length needs to increase... so that's why the idler is in there. But now I'm impressed that there's no flange on either of those gears keeping that belt from walking off, on either side... impressive they stay so true to each other throughout the suspension travel.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
That is so sick looking! I also am out of touch on MTB tech, but am also apparently confused by tech as I don't understand why the blur filter is so selectively blurring the photo background lol

60wag

Rising Sun Member
There are grooves in the belt and ridges on the pulleys to keep the belt tracking straight. I think Marco used to run a belt drive for a while, maybe Dave too. The belt idea looks appealing but I think the chain is still more efficient and lasts longer. The geared BB might be a creation for the belt drive because you can't change pulleys like you change sprockets with a chain. Innovation is cool but durability is even better.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Pinion gears have been around for a while 10-12 years?(edit 2006 ) They just needed the time to get smaller, better, lighter, etc. internal gears are nothing new though, think of the old 3 speed internal gear hubs. With pinion drive gears there is no derailleur to wack, break, etc. https://pinion.eu/en/

The real special sauce is that frame 😍

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
super smooth titanium?

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
All that high tech stuff and the water bottle is still mounted on the frame. I would think a system with the water in the frame pressured by air with a keaster drip system to constantly keep you hydrated through a special (albeit invasive) tube in the center of the seat would be more efficient and balance the weight better.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Like Corbet said its a pinion gear box and that idler pulley is a belt tensioner. Pretty slick set up. That bike is called the Bruiser. Only 2 exist and it was a proof of concept bike. I believe its 190 travel in front and 180 in the rear. He built that one for Sea Otter this year and the whole rear end and cranks are all anodized that way. They are making some pretty cool stuff down at Reeb. This is my New Reeb Steezl model we are racing in Canada in a couple weeks. This bike like the Bruiser uses a chromoly front end and aluminum rear end. The area surrounding the bottom bracket is also 3D printed stainless steel.

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpeg
    IMG_3746.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 86

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There’s been internally geared bikes for a long time. Sturmey Archer has been around for probably close to a century. The cottage gear boxes like this probably 20 I’d guess.

REEB is dedicated to the carbon belt drive with which derailleurs cannot work so they try all sorts of things. You dedicate to a box so it’s really only economical at custom brand prices.

There’s advantages and pitfalls but suffice to say there’s a reason the old way is still dominate.

Yeah I ran a belt on my REEB for a few years. I went back to plain old gears and chain mainly due to cost. The front ring in particular is pricy. It’s aluminum and our climate of sand ground it up badly.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
There’s been internally geared bikes for a long time. Sturmey Archer has been around for probably close to a century. The cottage gear boxes like this probably 20 I’d guess.

REEB is dedicated to the carbon belt drive with which derailleurs cannot work so they try all sorts of things. You dedicate to a box so it’s really only economical at custom brand prices.

There’s advantages and pitfalls but suffice to say there’s a reason the old way is still dominate.

Yeah I ran a belt on my REEB for a few years. I went back to plain old gears and chain mainly due to cost. The front ring in particular is pricy. It’s aluminum and our climate of sand ground it up badly.
Finally this thread takes a turn towards stuff I know about: antiquated tech. I had a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed in a Raleigh Sprite ages ago. Cool bike for bumming around town in comfort. I always wanted a Bendix 2-speed kickback hub though. I've still never ridden one.

These days I lust after a Rohloff with bar end shifters and a Son front dyno hub.

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the shout Tim. Havent been logged in here in a bit, so I missed the notifications.

Here's some more info on the first generation of my bike, the BREWser. Actually named after a Toyota prototype (Bruiser) with some beer/reeb spelling fun.

The best part of the gearbox is the silence (lack of chain slap) and extreme durability since the drivetrain is fully protected.

If anybody is ever passing through Lyons, feel free to stop by our machine shop where we build REEB's. Its in the original Oskar Blues Brewery right behind the OB restaurant. We build everything in house. I run manufacturing here and I get to build cool stuff like the bike you guys are talking about.

We have been using as much new tech as possible such as 316L DMLS 3D printing
Some good photos of our production bike here: