Snowblower won't run the day i need it to!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Anyone knowledgeable with small engines?
Crapsman SB410
208CC
Electric start ( positive note, i haven't blown my shoulder out trying to get this thing to run)
Fresh fuel, freely flows when I take the line off the fuel filter, starts when I pump the primer ball, stops running as soon as the primed file is used, keeps running if I keep pumping the primer ball.
What the f@ck is wrong with this thing? It has an estimated 30 hours on it.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
If you have some carb cleaner spray it in the intake of the carb with the filter off. it most likely is gummed up from the crap gas they sell these days. some stations sell ethanol free gas designed for small engines.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Best to do this while it is running of the primer bulb.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
If you have some carb cleaner spray it in the intake of the carb with the filter off. it most likely is gummed up from the crap gas they sell these days. some stations sell ethanol free gas designed for small engines.
Thanks, I will head out and buy some carb cleaner. No air filter or easy access intake. I did buy non-ethonol fuel last night, the little fuel that was in it from last winter had stabilizer in it as a precaution. When I drained the fuel from the fuel cup on the bottom of the carb, it still looked normal, but I didn't taste it to be sure of quality though!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Dumb question but is there a fuel tank cut off? Probably not the case if its running with primer ball. But the fuel line from the tank to the carb could also be gummed up. That's normally a gravity feed or close to it.

Once you get it running make sure to only use non-ethanol moving forward. I have not cleaned my fuel system in 16 years of use. I just make sure to turn the fuel off and run the carb dry in the spring. What ever fuel is in the tank stays there until the next season.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
No fuel shutoff. All lines are soft and like new with no cracks. Took the entire carb off 3 times so far, found a little schmutz on a tiny little pin where the fuel goes up the center of the of the fuel cup. Put back together and still same issues. Currently soaking the brass pin in carb cleaner.

The driveway has been shoveled but now I am on a mission!
20240204_111721.jpg
20240204_111941.jpg
20240204_111955.jpg
20240204_112005.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Found the issue. There is supposed to be a clear path through this brass pin. Found a piece of wire that was stuck in my coveralls from the wire wheel. Swizzled it around inside and found that there was a hole on the other end of the pin. Removed a white waxy substance and passed a piece of mechanics wire through and finished with carb cleaner. Put it all back together and it is running smooth now.

Thanks, everyone!
20240204_112005.jpg
20240204_113018.jpg

Last edited:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Great job! I see you found the rule of motorcycle/ATV carbs. If you don't pass a wire through each passage/jet, you're not done yet. Compressed air is not the same as running a wire through the jets. I wish it were, but it's not. I learned this the hard way.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
if it seems like its searching to idle smoothly there is another jet, i forget what its called..usually behind a wax/plastic/rubber plug just above the bowl that gets clogged and is quite annoying. ethanol fuel really jacks up small engine carbs. another option when your not in a time crunch to use the machine is to just replace with a chinese carb off of ebay/amazon for a few bucks.

I used to pick up lawnmowers etc for free that wouldnt start, fix and flip them to fund parts for my 80 and other toys. a self propelled modern looking mower will get around $150-175 on fb marketplace all day..often times only needing about an hours worth of work and $0 invested into them.