Snow sliding technique- throw it in reverse?

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
I think the only way for me to run chains would be 1.5" spacers, which I was kinda trying to avoid. Although Christo's new ones have me interested. http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_wheelspacers_main.htm

I've already done a 1" Body Lift, which caused me to lower the radiator by 1" and spend a day figuring out a .5" steering spacer and firewall mods. There is simply no way to raise the body anymore without some serious linkage/line issues.

What is everyone using for chains? Obviously I need the smallest/lowest profile chain I can get. Maybe I'll see what I can do to make them fit and work.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've always wanted a set of the RUD chains you can get from Safari Ltd. They are low profile and can be installed without moving at all so you could throw them on after you're stuck if need be. Definitely a cut above the cheap walmart stuff in quality, not sure where the prices are.
I've always put it off because they are very tire size specific and between two trucks and changing tire sizes I can't ever settle on a size to buy... that said, I think I need a set for the 285/75-16's currently on the LC as I think a set of like sized Duratracs are in her near future.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
^Unfortunately, they wont work for me. Not only do they not have my size tire but judging from the picture, they add too much width.

Simple, 35's all summer, 33's w/chains for winter! It's only money right?

Speaking of chains it does look like 'tirechainsupply' has a diamond pattern that you can install without moving the truck. I think the diamonds would be a much smoother road ride if you needed them for that as there is always chain under your tire unlike that ladder style that rattles your teeth.

Looks like good chains cost real money to.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but gotta stop the "shot shell" thing now. Sorry,but this has been done for decades. Anyone who actually learned to drive in the Midwest learned this trick. I learned it when I was 16. I also learned how to e brake a turn in both rear and front wheel drive cars. I learned to shift the case :eek:n ice and gear through corners. There's not really any new driving techniques out there

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but gotta stop the "shot shell" thing now. Sorry,but this has been done for decades. Anyone who actually learned to drive in the Midwest learned this trick. I learned it when I was 16. I also learned how to e brake a turn in both rear and front wheel drive cars. I learned to shift the case :eek:n ice and gear through corners. There's not really any new driving techniques out there

Ah man... :( *bubble = burst*

I would figure everyone here has at least once been sliding backwards down an icy hill and had to slap the tranny into drive and floor it. I have, and it saved my butt. I don't see where the opposite is any different. I say if you're running a tire size and combination that is large enough to break your drivetrain with just spinning your tires, then you're running on a thin line and its time to upgrade anyway. I agree with AxleIke and would much rather replace drivetrain parts than body work too.

I don't get the Ebrake thing at all. Seems like that would cause the rear end to try to pass you up on a downhill, much like having your proportioning valve adjusted too tight on the street.

Those who are saying to give it gas on a steep icy hill have obviously never been careening down an icy hill... the LAST thing you want is more speed. I was on a run and saw a Tacoma lock the brakes down a hill and pick up a significant amount of speed right into a pine tree... which proceeded to fold the ARB bumper over the hood, effectively sealing it shut so we couldn't get the fan out of the radiator. Dead rig. I came down nice and slow with my tire chains.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Those who are saying to give it gas on a steep icy hill have obviously never been careening down an icy hill....

actually, if you're sliding and can feel your rear starting to break loose to pass, you do want to hit the gas to straighten the rig out and regain steering control

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
I think it's important to point out that "throwing" it in reverse and just mashing the gas is not what is being discussed here. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from the thread title. I learned to drive on the ice filled mountain roads of the Catskill Mountains. Even our driveway was long, steep, rutted and gravel.

Keeping the rear of the truck behind the front of the truck was my sole purpose during the SNR. Only once did I get slightly sideways and was able to come to a stop. On some of the other steep downhill sections getting sideways would have most likely ended in a rollover. I used reverse, brake, gas, e-brake and "Jebus take the wheel" to get down. The one thing we had going for us was the trail is dug out a lot and shaped like a luge hill, as long as you just banged the sides and didn't go out of the "bowl", you could essentially just careen off the sides until you regained control.

Being last in the line of 12 meant there was no more fresh snow to "grab" traction on. It had already been spun/slid on and turned to ice. Here is a bad picture from earlier this summer where I was climbing the area that we descended that night. I would consider this a wide spot in the trail.

Attachments

• IMG_4352 - Copy (800x600).jpg
    IMG_4352 - Copy (800x600).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 183

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
AH, I think I remember hitting that large rock on the way down, Stan. :thumb:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from the thread title...

but a compelling headline makes for a much more entertaining discussion! :D

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+

You are right Ige, been doing it since '79 in a ford station wagon from there a very build Firebird and many other rigs. The thing I hated the most was the placement of the E brakes on the Toyota, next to the steering column. You could Steer the rear by just using the e brake only.

As for doing this down slippery hills, it takes practice and a soft touch. Practice in a parking lot when it is snow-covered and you can slowly master this "old" technique

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
AH, I think I remember hitting that large rock on the way down, Stan. :thumb:

Yep, that rock stopped me for sure also, I like that rock. I distinctly remember seeing it and putting the driver front right into it for a quick pause, deep breath, and back to the action move.

MtnAddict

Rising Sun Member
I missed this thread somehow, but great read.
It was my diff that blew that night using the reverse technique.
Driving in snow/ice does take a little finesse, but as you gain speed and no traction, finesse is out the window, I just wanted to slow and stay on the trail. As Stan said I was using brake, e-brake and used the reverse a few times with light skinny pedal. This worked well until I was gaining too much speed on a downhill section and I think if I hadn't used reverse I would have ended up off the trail into a tree/rock with my wife and another passenger. Possibly rolling. I took the chance and "blew" it. Ha.
Good times though and again, thanks to all that helped get me rolling at the trail head.