Snow Run this Sunday 2/17

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hey all, just wondering if anybody would be up for a Snow Run scouting trip this Sunday. Really just a gauging trip. The way I see it right now is to head up Guanella Pass from the Georgetown side and see how high we can get - if we hit the top, great. I'm not sure about heading down the south side, seeing that we would likely not reach Grant and I'm not much for trying to work back uphill at that point.

If we accomplish that task or determine that it's not a good candidate, I say we head up Argentine and feel it out to see whether it's safe/how far we can go etc.

If that stops us then I say we head back down to Georgetown and head up toward the Lamartine area (Saxon Road?) and see if it's gated (there's a gate there, not sure if it's closed in winter), if not continue on as far as we can.

Next stop would probably be Bill Moore Lake area. Then Alice (Loch Lamond etc.), then Idaho Spgs. side of Lamartine, which I have been on before and it was fun. If we exhaust all those options then there's a road straight south of Idaho Spgs. that seems to go into the woods, I haven't been very far up it because that's one of the 4 or 5 places that I got close to rolling my truck, and we called it a trail after that event :eek: If we do ALL of that, then I say we call it a day and go get pizza.

Again this is all to gauge the possibility of alternate snow run locations depending on snow conditions, so if we get stopped we get stopped and we turn around. I have no plan for destinations, but to me it's about getting out there and seeing what my truck can do! I'm thinking of leaving pretty early to get as much time as possible to test out the options (like between 7 and 8 am), but am flexible because I'm really at the mercy of whoever wants to go with me, as I'd rather not go by myself.

what kind of support are you looking for? I could come but im not lifted or winched out like most people. If you need a winch I can throw chains on my mums jeep and go with you that way.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well - I am on 31s, rear locker, I do have chains for all 4s if needed, and I do have a winch now too. I guess when I'm looking for potential snow run locations I'm looking for stuff that my truck can get through if someone else breaks trail, and possibly lead like I've done with my friends in the past. That is how the first S/P run that I went on was like (Jan '06). That is also how the run looked that the Horsetooth 4wheelers went on last Sunday. Last year's S/P run as well as this years has me baffled, because that kind of snow depth precludes a lot of people in the club from really even going, because even the big trucks are getting super stuck and don't make that much progress (2000 yds. vs. 5-8 miles). Now I realize that going higher in elevation is likely not to be the right answer, but you have to start somewhere and I would just like to satisfy my curiosity, because I'm not sure very many people have checked some of these trails out in the winter. So I wanted to start here, maybe in the next couple weeks check out some above Boulder, because they're also at lower elevations, and just go from there.

So - it would be nice to have a truck that's sitting on 35s to help blaze trail, but I realize that I would probably be hindering forward progress of that truck because I'm smaller right now. But if nobody is game then I'll make due with what I have, and at that point it's nice to have two trucks so we can pull each other out of whatever we get into, as long as one can follow the other.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i might be up for a run in the piggie

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Sunday bad Saturday good............couldn't go anyway since I have to work OT and have hockey. Hope you guys have a great time and find some cool places.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
i won't be able to make it... ya'll have fun

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Me and the "Whale" shy away from snow runs now - especially with a winch that ain't working :hill:

Be safe and let us know how it goes and take a club roster list with phone #'s in case you need help :thumb:

Let me know If you look anywhere on the north side of denver goergetown is A little to far for me

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You'll have to ask someone with a Ham...cause I can't do that yet :bawl:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, so just to get it out there: how about meeting in Georgetown at the gas station closest to the interstate at 8:00, roll at 8:30? If you show up late we'll be up on Guanella Pass, there's only one way in and out so it should be easy. If that doesn't work for somebody who is planning on going, let me know what the earliest time is that you can be there and we'll do that. Remember that Sunday ski traffic can be pretty slow, even going up the hill, given that time of morning.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
if you get bored snow bashing let me know and we can go tackle the snow and tow that FJ40 out of Pine Junction...

I might be interested...

...but it will depend upon a few variables and facts of life.

Variable is wife's blessing.

Fact of life, my '97 is mostly stock. 31x10.50's with decent tread (1/2 life), chains for all fours, open LS diff's, and no winch. :eek:

My truck is equipped for winter travel, but doesn't like bottomless snow. It digs just fine, until it floats out on the undercarriage.:mad:

I'm an RS nOOb, and would like to make the run, as it will be my first "event" to finalize my membership qualifications. Alternatively, I may opt for the GPS run on Sunday.

Cheers!

Oh, and one more thing...

...I was on a motorcycle ride called The Elephant Ride last weekend, and we tried getting up from the Grant side. The snow gets pretty deep, and we only got within 4 miles of the pass before the bikes couldn't get through. Lots of people were "parked" at the end of the plowing, and one or two 4x4's that busted through farther. A lifted, (and rear only chained) K5 buried itself and is/was gonna take a fair amount of digging to get itself out. :lmao:

We did have a BLAST with the ride.

Ride report and photos here on www.adventurerider.com

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310285

Cheers!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I can't help you with the variables :D

Fact of Life #1: I bet your 80 is more capable than my 40, so we're good there.

Fact of Life #2: I don't think I would consider this an "Official" Rising Sun club run, it's more of a scouting run (even though I'm coordinating it) - the GPS run definitely counts as a club event. I don't know if the bylaws can be flexed or if others will want to make this an official club run (for the sake of facilitating your joining in the event you can't swing the GPS run), but for now it's not. I'm still not really sure if anybody is going to show up, I have about 4 maybes. You are certainly welcome though :) I would love for SOMEone to come play in the mountains with me on Sunday, we'll tailor it to the type of vehicles we have show up (winch, lift, chains, lockers, etc. not required in other words).

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I can't help you with the variables :D

Fact of Life #1: I bet your 80 is more capable than my 40, so we're good there.

Fact of Life #2: I don't think I would consider this an "Official" Rising Sun club run, it's more of a scouting run (even though I'm coordinating it) - the GPS run definitely counts as a club event. I don't know if the bylaws can be flexed or if others will want to make this an official club run (for the sake of facilitating your joining in the event you can't swing the GPS run), but for now it's not. I'm still not really sure if anybody is going to show up, I have about 4 maybes. You are certainly welcome though :) I would love for SOMEone to come play in the mountains with me on Sunday, we'll tailor it to the type of vehicles we have show up (winch, lift, chains, lockers, etc. not required in other words).

Actually in the past....if it's a run led by RM members and posted on RS media then technically it is considered an "official" RS run. Exception would be the _______ run that's not official, nor is it discussed nor is it real....it's just _____! :lmao::lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
well there you go, I guess I've transitioned from my bantering about that I've become accustomed to the past three years and am starting to tap into my superpowers!

I guess, after all, this is to benefit the club as a whole, so it makes sense...

Thanks Kev! And we'll keep on the DL k? :)

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
well there you go, I guess I've transitioned from my bantering about that I've become accustomed to the past three years and am starting to tap into my superpowers!

I guess, after all, this is to benefit the club as a whole, so it makes sense...

Thanks Kev! And we'll keep on the DL k? :)

Fixed it....

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Actually in the past....if it's a run led by RM members and posted on RS media then technically it is considered an "official" RS run. Exception would be the _______ run that's not official, nor is it discussed nor is it real....it's just _____! :lmao::lmao:

Fixed mine and yours! Hope that's okay! :thumb: