SM420/3spd questions...

FJBen

well, from simple valve seal job to the complete engine removal leak repair TBI swap...I"m pulling the t-case apart to find the leaks :lmao:

So I'm at the point of separating the tcase from the tranny. I know the 5 bolts, and then the bolt on the tranny output shaft. The t-case came loose about .5" but then it's not just going to slide off. Do I need to get a puller to get that off? or pry?

I've had luck with the toy/4speed in prying it off, but dunno if there is something different with the sm420/3speed setup?

The front nosecose had oil in it when I removed the driveshaft. It appears it's leaking out of there. Which seal is it that causing leaking there? I'd like to fix that as well.

thanks!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
did you get the bolt that is inside the side inspection cover?

FJBen

did you get the bolt that is inside the side inspection cover?

There were two nuts when I popped the side cover. Two on the top, and one towards the bottom. Then the one on the shaft.

should it slide off or press off?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Sometimes that gear mesh's on the output shaft and it's a bear to get off. Use a bearing puller on it. I've also used some 2x4 cut wooden wedges in a pinch since they would deform and not hurt the case.