Slowness of RS forum

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wes, whatever you did, the whole thing is running faster. Thanks, dood.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Alright, we'll see if it stays this way. I did all the optimization in the admin panel. Anything more than that is real DB geek.

I'm assuming the host is using 2003 virtuals and everything is seperate. I'm sure the DB's are in a seperate cluster of machines.

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
Am I the only one that is getting a blank new pm everday that was sent 12-31-1969? Looks like it may be some sort of artifact from a scheduled script?

wesintl

RS Moderator
That'd be me.. don't mind. I was testing a few db things and I needed a subject (either you or hulk and i thought i did both) :eek: I'll see if I can remove the whole pm for you.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'll have to look around on some of the vbulletin forums and see what's out there. I do see major slowness now :( definatly intermitant :rant:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wes, I'm talking to Woody's guy about a dedicated server. I'm wondering if we should move this direction as well. The only thing is, I don't want to screw up Kipper's registration asp forms. The rest of the site really doesn't need ASP.

wesintl

RS Moderator
When I get some time I'll ask one of the DBA's we have at work more about some possible issues. Our site is nowhere near the size and db calls that mud or other big forums get. I still wonder about the load on the db server. Easy cgi isn't real forthcoming with info.

woody

I had persistent issues with the db while running the 3.0.x version of vBulletin...upgrading to the 3.5.x version helped somewhat....

switching to a dedicated db server fixed it immediately. I also keep all the other softwares up to date as well (ie: php, mysql, etc) and request reconfiguration adjustments thru vB regularly.

3.0.14 is the current version IIRC, just released this week...that may also be an issue, and I would definitely be concerned about the security of the software/db - I know of one other TLCA forum that was recently hacked, possibly due to their out-of-date IPB forum.

course, you have under 10,000 posts...'MUD regularly generates 2500-3300 per day...however, the db slowness isn't likely the result of size but of tweaks and settings. (unfortunately, things a "normal" webhost won't play with)

wesintl

RS Moderator
Thanks for the insight woody. Very much appreciated.

wesintl

RS Moderator
All you IE users try our firefox. I've had hardly any isssues. I've got some things to tend to and we'll get an update up.

wesintl

RS Moderator
All you IE users try out firefox. I've had hardly any isssues(besides some slowness). I've got some things to tend to and we'll get an update up.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, I use IE for two web sites, one of which is USPS.com -- lazy neo-gov't bastids who can't even put togetha a standards-based web site.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I have to turn the latest Norton Firewall (upgrade?) off before navigating the RS forum. Mud has no issues nor do I have slow issues surfing anywhere else...for some reason the RS forum just bogs with the firewall on.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
No issues here. Firefox 1.0.7 I think... Mostly lately it's been qwest's DSL that has been an issue, almost like the bad ol' days of ao hell in the 90s...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You could always get WildBlue. Terry Holben just got hooked up a couple of weeks ago.
http://wildblue.com/