Slowness of RS forum

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone else experience extreme slowness of the RS forum from time to time? Sometimes it runs quick, other times it will "time out." I'm on high speed connections, and other sites always load up quick. I checked the connection speed with a tool that Wes provided, and everything seems fine. But I still have the problem, almost every day.

Anyone else?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
yep...i kept trying to respond to a pm from groucho this morning and every time, it locked up

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
I've never noticed any speed issues, and I've certainly never timed out. Are you only seeing lag in the forums or do the other pages of the site seem slow as well?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just got this:

Attachments

• screencap.gif
    screencap.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 212

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hmmmm interesting! Glad you spoke up as I thought it was just my comp. I have had the same issues lately, locking up on PM's slow loading or very delayed posting. Wonder if Wes is using a diesel server now? :confused:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I have that error as well Matt. That doesn't bother me, what gets me is when I click on the first thread the first time I load the forum. That one click locks up everything in the browser for 30 sec or so. Downgraded Java just in case to 1.4 because 1.5 is super crappy. Upgraded Firefox to the new 1.5.0.2...Same problem on both the work PC and home.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'm real slow this morning at times. :(

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'm always slow. :lmao: The forum being slow doesn't help! Too much "think time" can be a bad thing. :smokin:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Same here at work with IE. Seems to work better at home with Firefox. Just every once in a while I'll click on a thread and it won't open, usually I just do something else for a while then come back later to either see the thread or see that it timed out.

wesintl

RS Moderator
If you all see the forum closed don't fret to long I'm going to turn it off here and there and see if I can't run a few DB optimization scripts.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I haven't had any problems with this forum. I finally got my DNS issue squared away with earthlink, and have never noticed any speed issues with the forum.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Rzeppa said:
I haven't had any problems with this forum. I finally got my DNS issue squared away with earthlink, and have never noticed any speed issues with the forum.

It's smokin' right now.....you do somethin' Wes?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Rzeppa said:
I haven't had any problems with this forum.

Jeff, are you on dial-up when you access the forum?

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
The site is fine. The forum is slow.
It's gotta be the database then. Maybe Wes running those optimization scripts will help, but it's probably the SQL box or the connection between the websever and the SQL box.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Works for me :grinpimp:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Kipper said:
It's gotta be the database then. Maybe Wes running those optimization scripts will help, but it's probably the SQL box or the connection between the websever and the SQL box.

Huh? >>>>WELCOME TO OUR PLANET.....WE MEAN YOU NO HARM!
transport.gif
:cheers:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Kipper said:

The database is on a different box? Hmmm. Does it matter where? I've got a dedicated server we could put it on.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hulk said:
The database is on a different box? Hmmm. Does it matter where? I've got a dedicated server we could put it on.
With a regular professional web hosting service, there's no telling what box is running what. I think what Wes was referring to is that the MySQL DBs we have are not on our regular "web space" directory. Could be the same box, could be a different one on a server farm. Should make no difference.