slight rhythmic hummm...

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I've developed a slight rhythmic humm in the driveline...somewhere. and just yesterday I noticed a faint 'squeal'ish type sound (almost like slipping belt). when I popped the hood...couldn't isolate the sound...then went underneath. Sounds like it's coming from the tranny/x-fer area.

Fluids are changed and full, but the tranny gushed out fluid through the fill-plug. so..I got that going on, for sure... and wes noticed another leak...so that, too. What am I up against here?? is something on the way 'out'. :confused:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
my 40 makes a high pitched whirring noise if the gears in the transfer case are loose or the t-case is starting to separate from the transmission. Each time I fix it, the noise goes away.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Is this on the 40? Fluid gushing out of the tranny fill plug means that the tranny/t-case seal is gone and your t-case is pumping fluid to the tranny, so maybe it's getting low enough that you're getting a whirring from there.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I agree with what Subzali said.

Is this on the 40? Fluid gushing out of the tranny fill plug means that the tranny/t-case seal is gone and your t-case is pumping fluid to the tranny, so maybe it's getting low enough that you're getting a whirring from there.

Also, could be the pilot bearing. Does the squeal stop when you start to apply some clutch?