• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Slider Material Thickness

rover67

Rising Sun Member
So I went to Altitude Steel today at lunch (thanks for the recommendation Drew, they were super cool) and got a bunch of steel for my winch bumper build and for some sliders...

now that i got it I am thinking twice though.... I bought 1/8 wall thicnkess 2" x3" tubing for the sliders... is that stout enough?

Thoughts?

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I think 3/16" wall is the most common

rover67

Rising Sun Member
anybody want any material? at least it was cheap...

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yeah, now that i'm home holding it up there it is way too thin. i'll use it somewhere else. I think I am going to go for the 2x4 x 3/16 for the sliders unless you guys think i should use 1/4 thick stuff. maybe it's time for a trailer build with the 1/8 stuff, maybe that'll be the tire carrier for the rear :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yep, .120 wall. thats what I got first. so maybe it's ok for sliders? Jim, hope you don't mind i just went ahead and started getting the stuff to do them myself... would you be willing to bend up a couple tubes (step thinggies) for them?

am planning on 1/4" for the front winch bumper main "tube" with some 1/2" plate to mount the winch.

thanks for the input guys,

-Marco

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I used 1/8" on mine. It works, but I don't really like it. they do bend and don't hold up well, by which I mean they dent.

If you can, i'd upgrade to 3/16, but if you don't want to, the 1/8 will work.

The ones on my 4runner I made out of .250 wall 2" HREW and 2.50 wall 2x4 tube. They haven't bent at all and the wife uses them a lot!

If it were me I wouldn't use the .120 for sliders at all unless you plan on replacing them when the get dented up, or dont care. the .1875 wall will be okay IMHO

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I've got a set from Marlin on mine, made from .120 HREW. I threw them on because they were so cheap I figured why not. I picked up a couple good dents in them in Cruces, like Daisy said, plan on replacing them every couple years if you use them.

I had a set of 2x4 .250 wall I built for my old 4Runner, they were bulletproof and I also used them a fair amount. That set replaced a pretty dented set of tube sliders on that rig. When I replace the current ones I have, I will be doing the .250 square tube route :)

HTH

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I used 4Crawler sliders with the heavier 3/16" square tubing. They will not move, nor dent, nor bend. FWIW, Roger uses 1/8" for the outrigger legs as they are plenty strong and it saves weight. But the slider tubes are 3/16", both the outside tubes and the tube under the body pinch weld. The square tubing actually is a bit thicker in the corners where they get the most abuse, around .250.

I have built two sets of sliders with simple square tubing now, using 1/8" for outrigger legs and 3/16" for the slider tubes. Bombproof. Flapsander and Hammerite restores them to like-new.

You will find plenty of uses for your 1/8" tube. Or, I bet Altitude will swap you FWIW. Just 'splain it to 'em.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
To further complicate the issue... different materials will have different yield strengths. the cheaper welded tube will bend before a DOM seamless tube with the same wall thickness. The yield strength will also affect your ability to fab curves in it. With a stout hydraulic bender, the DOM is not a problem (within reason) but with a manual tubing bender, a lower strength, thinner wall may be the difference between a nicely formed curve and a kinked mistake.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
all the .120 wall dom in my cage bent fine with a manual pro tools :) so did the misc HREW in there too. Maybe in a pipe bender or with much heavier wall but there are no kinks in my cage, only behind the wheel.