Skid Plates for IFS Mini Trucks

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Mini truck guys! Ordering my Budbuilt underside stuff and have an option, need thoughts. Going with an IFS skid plate, his transfer case cross member and a skid plate. The IFS plate is 3/16" and will go from the ARB to just behind the rear of the back A-arm. I have a Sonoran Steel IFS truss and so I will drill and tap a couple of holes to reinforce the IFS skid, which kicks up just slightly behind that. Good so far.

Since I'm sticking with IFS for the foreseeable future, Bud has a belly pan instead of the regular transfer case skid plate. This will bolt to the IFS skid plate and cover the area between the back of the suspension to the cross member, behind the cross member it turns up just like the regular cross member skid. It will not be completely flat and smooth like some of the Tacoma guys have, but I will have a continuous skid from the ARB all the way to the output of the transfer case. The fuel tank has the stock skid. It's gonna look like a friggin' IED defusing truck under there!

Any who, he currently makes the belly pans in 0.120" steel, but is going to start offering a 3/16" version of it. Same price and he's giving me the option. Weight penalty is about 30% over the regular version, so probably 15~20 lbs higher than the 0.120" one. That does not look like a lot, but extra pound added does decrease the payload. So 20 lbs is 3 gallons less water or in a better measurement, 32 less bottles of beer!

I told him that the 0.120" would be fine for what I'm doing (and he's already been making these for years at 0.120" without massive failure). But just throwing it out, maybe get a couple of extra viewpoints.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You can always fix a skid plate.

Imelda is gonna be a tad slower...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You can always fix a skid plate.

Imelda is gonna be a tad slower...
Slower uphill, more of a rocket down!

Stock stuff: 15 lbs nose skid, 25 lbs cross member, 8 ounce tin plate under transfer (40.5 lbs)
Budbuilt stuff: 50 lbs IFS/engine/front diff skid, 30 lbs cross member, 40 lbs belly pan (120 lbs)

Yeah, what's 15 lbs extra for a 3/16" belly pan over a 0.120", eh? But then again 15 lbs is 15 lbs. I'm being tongue in cheek on the stock transfer skid, but I might actually be close on the actual weight, tho...

Thinking of sticking with the 1/8" plate, easier to wrestle 40 lbs into place than 55 lbs. That IFS skid is gonna take a floor jack to lift as it is and at least it's only 10" off the ground under the axle. Trying to lift a 36" by 48" plate a couple of feet off the deck while rolling around on a creeper, I'll be happy if I don't drop it and split my head open.

Going with a little lighter construction on those sliders seems smarter by the second.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Go for it!

Bud's stuff is great. I recommend modifying the part under the diff to allow for CV removal. Notch it about 2" in on both sides, directly under the CV/Stub axle interface. Makes things easier on the trail.

Did you double check it would work with the ARB? I looked at his stuff, but decided that it didn't look like it would work with mine. I never checked on it, but just something to look into before ordering.

Isn't the SS truss nice? I have the prototype, and have been loving it ever since it went on.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Slower uphill, more of a rocket down!

Stock stuff: 15 lbs nose skid, 25 lbs cross member, 8 ounce tin plate under transfer (40.5 lbs)
Budbuilt stuff: 50 lbs IFS/engine/front diff skid, 30 lbs cross member, 40 lbs belly pan (120 lbs)

Yeah, what's 15 lbs extra for a 3/16" belly pan over a 0.120", eh? But then again 15 lbs is 15 lbs. I'm being tongue in cheek on the stock transfer skid, but I might actually be close on the actual weight, tho...

Irrelevant! You can't think of armor that way! If the extra weight is causing you mental issues remove 15#'s from somewhere else!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Irrelevant! You can't think of armor that way! If the extra weight is causing you mental issues remove 15#'s from somewhere else!
OK, just leave off UB's share of the fine ale next trip. There's your 15 pounds right there.

peepwall.gif

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
OK, just leave off UB's share of the fine ale next trip. There's your 15 pounds right there.
Oh thanks, now I have to clean Pepsi off the company's nice new Dell flat screen. That made me laugh out loud.

Thing is, Bill, the weight of an ARB 45 liter fridge happens to about 50 lbs. So saving 15 lbs on the skid plate, say another 10 or 20 lbs on the sliders. Not everything is just random in my head (despite the babbling I displayed in front of the ham class). Don't worry UB, I got your back. Beer supply will ALWAYS be considered.

See with a less radical truck and 45 liters filled to the top with 90 Schilling. No reason to bother actually driving anywhere until I'm out. Then I only need to make it back to a liquor store.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Oh thanks, now I have to clean Pepsi off the company's nice new Dell flat screen. That made me laugh out loud.

Thing is, Bill, the weight of an ARB 45 liter fridge happens to about 50 lbs. So saving 15 lbs on the skid plate, say another 10 or 20 lbs on the sliders. Not everything is just random in my head (despite the babbling I displayed in front of the ham class). Don't worry UB, I got your back. Beer supply will ALWAYS be considered.

See with a less radical truck and 45 liters filled to the top with 90 Schilling. No reason to bother actually driving anywhere until I'm out. Then I only need to make it back to a liquor store.

Besides.....after your cargo has been lightened your truck will be a total bad boy! Enough speed will get you over any obstacle! And if it don't make it, Bill will gladly sacrifice human body parts so you can complete the trail! :thumb:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
More accurate change in weight. Total with thinner belly is 118 lbs, so 14 lbs is a 12% increase in overall underside armor weight.
Bud Rosenberger said:
OK. Crossmember is 35#, front IFS skid is #55, belly is #28 Would be #42 in 3/16" ( #14 difference )

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If it were me, I'd get the thicker plate. To go with my thick skull.

14 lbs. is nuthin.