Shopping new tires for my 100 series

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I love cooper tires in general.
I thought I read on mud that I could get some variant of at3’s in a load range C but all I’m seeing online are load range E.
I’m still looking out for 16” wheels but I may keep my 18’s too and throw some 275/65/18 tires on em so that’s the size we are shopping for at the moment.

I like the idea of a tough “E” rated tire but the fact is I daily this thing and keep it stock and don’t really plan to wheel it… She mostly sees pavement and I think I may be disappointed by adding tires that are much heavier/more ply than I really need for my purposes…

I just want to step up to a slightly taller sidewall, hence 275/65/18 as opposed to the 275/60/18 that are stock. I’d like that sidewall to have a bit of tread, I’d like the 3 peaks snow rating type stuff, and naturally look cool, and I’d like the tire to be well wearing and quiet. …white lettering preferred…

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I love my Cooper AT3 XLTs. I have them on my 100 in 285/75/16 E. I would love a similar size but in load range C, which I can’t find anyone that makes them.

I think your best option is probably going to a 17 inch wheel. I’ve been thinking about doing this on the 80 and the 100 due to size options.

I’d love to run a 285/70/17 C on the 100 and a 285/75/17 C on the 80.

Side note: black sidewalls out!

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I love my Cooper AT3 XLTs. I have them on my 100 in 285/75/16 E. I would love a similar size but in load range C, which I can’t find anyone that makes them.

I think your best option is probably going to a 17 inch wheel. I’ve been thinking about doing this on the 80 and the 100 due to size options.

I’d love to run a 285/70/17 C on the 100 and a 285/75/17 C on the 80.

Side note: black sidewalls out!
Do you have a tasteful wheel in mind that comes in both bolt patterns?

I usually prefer the stock wheel look but I don’t mind looking at what’s out there, especially if it’s going to get me a lighter wheel…

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm a big fan of the BFG KO2 tires. They look good, not too loud, have great snow and ice traction, and they don't seem to get hard after only 2 years when they still have plenty of tread left, the way that other tires (including Coopers) have done on me.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Do you have a tasteful wheel in mind that comes in both bolt patterns?

I usually prefer the stock wheel look but I don’t mind looking at what’s out there, especially if it’s going to get me a lighter wheel…

I’m glad you asked. I personally love the F5 from Stealth Custom Series. They are simple in design and very light. They are available for both the 80 and 100 in 16” and 17”.

I also really like the new Patrol HD from Fifteen52 wheels. They specifically confirm their 17x8.5 will fit an 80 and a 100 (with respective bolt patterns).

IMG_2061.jpegIMG_2062.jpeg

SCS F5
IMG_1334.jpegIMG_0380.jpegIMG_0378.jpeg

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I'm a big fan of the BFG KO2 tires. They look good, not too loud, have great snow and ice traction, and they don't seem to get hard after only 2 years when they still have plenty of tread left, the way that other tires (including Coopers) have done on me.

Matt, are you still running Toyo OC AT3? How do you like them???

wesintl

RS Moderator
I had the cooper at3 on my 100. They were ok until 2/3 of the way through then they were loud. I'll probably put on bfg at's at some point. I put on some Michelin defender ltx for the winter skiing and OMG they are nice and quiet with fantastic traction. That slight sidewall increase it's going to make much of a difference in anything. If you're not wheeling the Michelin is the way to go. Down side is they don't look cool. Good side is quiet and great traction in the snow and wears well.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
BFG KO2 for the win in my book. Have them on Lisas 4runner, ran them on my old Excursion and F250. they are my favorite all around tire.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We have those Michelins on the Sequoia and they are awesome all season street tires. They really don't look cool though. :)

The Yokohama GO15s are a good choice for street/mild trails and they do look cooler. Have them on the 4Runner now and been very happy with their performance and wear.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt, are you still running Toyo OC AT3? How do you like them???
Yes. I like them just fine. I'm still in the first two years when virtually all tires are great. The real assessment will come in a few years when they've been on the truck for 3-4 years.

Burt88

Trail Ready
I switched back to the KO2 after last year and I'm very satisfied. They do everything they're intended to do on highway and long desert roads and are safe on snow and ice. No tire will ever be the perfect tire and the things these tires don't do well are where huge tread blocks are necessary.

My friend is happy with Falken Wildpeaks but they seem to puncture through the tread easily. Nitto is crap especially in the winter and I found the Ridge Grapplers dangerous on snow and ice. Cooper AT3's are good especially for winter but don't wear for very long and aren't gonna be tough for real abuse, if that's on the menu.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
You guys keep bringing up the BFG KO2. I’m also a fan, been running them off and on for years. I’m excited about the KO3. Hopefully it’s as good and/or better than the KO2.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
80 has General X3's that I have been quite happy with. Though as they are wearing, they do appear to be wearing faster than before. Which is in no way a scientific observation.

Going with some Toyo OC pizza cutters for the Tacoma, with another set of DakarZero's.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
KO2 are OK but I switched it up last time with WIldpeak AT3W. Turns out I like them better how I use them. Mine are 5 years old now, about 30k, and wear has been good. Mine came with a 50k warranty, which is pretty unusual for a load range E LT size tire.

I'd be curious about punctures, hadn't heard that mentioned before. Not suprised since they are two-ply tires and not three like KO2. I spent the last two years driving on a lot of snowy roads and around construction sites. Never got a flat but that could just be luck of the draw.

The new AT4W Wildpeak will be a 3-ply in some sizes and what they claim is an HD carcass in others, so there may be something to it.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
the fact is I daily this thing and keep it stock
don’t really plan to wheel it
mostly sees pavement
may be disappointed by adding tires that are much heavier/more ply than I really need for my purposes…
I’d like the 3 peaks snow rating type stuff
well wearing and quiet
KO2 is heavy, rough ride. Legit 4x4 tire and built tough for it.
I have wanted to try the Cooper AT3's
You are welcome to drive my 100 and see the G015. All the rest are true 4x4 tires. G015 is a lighter AT. I first discovered them in 2015 for the Subaru I had at the time. 15 lbs lighter than comparable BF and 1/2 the cost. On the Sooby it handled Wyoming exploring. On the 100 has handled the Mojave Trail and Argentine pass (to the top). Anna feels confident with them in snow (I got them for her GX)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I had the cooper at3 on my 100. They were ok until 2/3 of the way through then they were loud. I'll probably put on bfg at's at some point. I put on some Michelin defender ltx for the winter skiing and OMG they are nice and quiet with fantastic traction. That slight sidewall increase it's going to make much of a difference in anything. If you're not wheeling the Michelin is the way to go. Down side is they don't look cool. Good side is quiet and great traction in the snow and wears well.
Those Michelins come up a lot in discussion. @pskhaat I think also likes them a lot.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
x2 (below) - surprisingly good in snow. Not Blizzaks, but very good. Agree they don't look cool.

I put on some Michelin defender ltx for the winter skiing and OMG they are nice and quiet with fantastic traction.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
KO2 is heavy, rough ride. Legit 4x4 tire and built tough for it.
I have wanted to try the Cooper AT3's
You are welcome to drive my 100 and see the G015. All the rest are true 4x4 tires. G015 is a lighter AT. I first discovered them in 2015 for the Subaru I had at the time. 15 lbs lighter than comparable BF and 1/2 the cost. On the Sooby it handled Wyoming exploring. On the 100 has handled the Mojave Trail and Argentine pass (to the top). Anna feels confident with them in snow (I got them for her GX)
Love the Cooper AT3s on our 100. Very solid on hiway, very acceptable off-road for less than hardcore mud and rocks and they are wearing very well without becoming too noisy after 25k miles. Only weakness I’ve found is hard pack snow and ice. They can get a little dicey in those conditions but full time four wheel drive mitigates that pretty well. Less expensive than a lot of similar size tires from other brands and they are American made.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I ran BFG KO2's and Cooper Discover AT3's on our Tundra. Both were good. Just put on a set of Yokohama Geolander X AT's and so far have been happy with them. We have a lot of snow/ice right now and no complaints. Look good too. (Load range C on 17" TRD wheels)