Shock placement question...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Well, due the generosity of other RS members... cough, cough-Corsair23, cough (thanks Jeff:thumb:). I now have a set of shocks for my trailer. Like everything else on this build I can decide where and how things get attached.

What is the most effective way of mounting shocks so they can do their job?

I would like to keep them up high and out of the rocks, and I thought about just angeling them in from the spring perches to the center, kinda like my 40. Figured it worked for Toyota... :confused: But that involves some more fab and I am running out of time.

My other thought is to have them mount on the axle tube and lay backwards and mount at the first rear cross member behind the axle. Clear as mud? Here is a shot of the chasis as it sits.

Thanks to those who know more than I... which is everyone here :risingsun:

Attachments

• chassis done no jack.jpg
    chassis done no jack.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 157

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Maybe one forward and one back? Would it be better to mount them facing forward or backward (i.e. which one gives the most upright configuration?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Whatever is easiest. You have no axle wrap to consider. Non-critical application as long as the angle is not so severe as to interfere with damping.

Drew mount them like you 40 it will keep them out of the rocks. If you have tham back or forward they are sure to get mangled.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Rezarf, off subject but what is your plan with the crank jack? Looks like it's made for 2" reciever? Does it pivot? What are you doing while you drive around so it doesn't hang low? For the shocks mount them as easy as possible, seems to me 40 shocks are intended for carrying more weight than your trailer and ordering trailer shocks shouldn't be too expensive maybe shorter and easier to mount 40 style. Clear as dirty water.

shock angle

The most effective position for a shock is to mount it straight up and down. The rate will change as they compress and the more you angle them the more the rate decreases as they compress, which is undesirable.

The more the shocks compress for each inch of axle travel, the greater the rate. They usually angle the shocks inward at the top to give an increasing rate as the car rolls. As the car rolls the shock becomes vertical. So there is a trade off between vertical movement and body roll. You'll notice most drag cars have shocks in a vertical position with road course vehicles being a compromise.

The only reason to mount one forward and one back is to try and control axle warp.

Look at other trailers; I think you will see they are mounted straight up and down.

Clear

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
If you want to get into the real nitty gritty, this thread is pretty good. Essentially, it is a few ME's arguing back and forth over shock damping decrease with angle. It is both fascinating and informing.

It is also a very spirited debate, and there is some extraneous arguing, but the meat of it, the articles, and the links are all SUPERB!

http://www.yotatech.com/f31/little-bit-shock-trig-86902/

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Drew,

I'm wondering now if those shocks are going to work :confused:

They seem to be a little long for what you need...Hopefully they'll work but don't compromise the trailer just to use 'em. Have you rattle canned 'em blue yet? :D

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
He hasn't picked them up yet.