Serious death wobble

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Ok so first off when i had the 35's it would only death wobble when i hit a decent bump in the road, then i would have to turn left or pull over to stop the problem. Now that i have the 36's its TERRIBLE, I cant even go down my street at 25-30mph without it starting! I cant describe how bad it is, it just starts shaking in every direction, my hood latches come off and the front end just goes crazy.....Crazy, Its scary. I have no idea how to fix it.
Any ideas what the problem could be?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Something is loose. You need to get someone to turn your wheel from side to side while you squat under the front of your rig. Something is moving that shouldn't be.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Check the toe-in alignment

subzali

Hard Core 4+
also the caster angle.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Remove all Jeep and Chevy parts asap.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
lug nuts lose, crappy tires, bent rims...

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Wow theres alot of possibilities. Is there a way to narrow it down? I checked the basic stuff, lug nuts, wheels, ubolts etc. they look fine. I did notice that when the tires turn the shackles move about an .25 inch to each side, supposed to happen??

60wag

Rising Sun Member
That sounds loose for a shackle bushing but I'll bet its not the sole source of the wobble.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok to back up a bit.. lay under it while your brother turns the wheels back and forth, look for anything loose or out of the ordinary. Try swapping the tires front to rear, see if it goes away, or makes a difference. Just need to nail this down so start eliminating possibilities and you'll get there.

I can't remember from last weekend, are you sprung over?

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
My guess is bent rims. Are they used and you just installed them?

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Ok i switched the tires front to back, didnt change anything.
Looked under it while my brother turned the wheel, Doesnt look like anything is wrong.
The wheels were on the the truck originally, I had tire source here in boulder mount the tires, I think they would have said something if they were bent?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok how about a loose wheel bearing then? grab the top of a tire and push & pull on it.. feel any clunks in there? Jack it up and do the same, any of those front wheels feel loose? Do you know how to install/adjust those big nuts?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I had a set of Super swampers on my rig, and cold mornings/biased ply tires were always a hard time.

I switched to radials and most of my problems went away. Check your center arm link. Mine had a bunch of play in it.

Try to rule out the tires, mine were jackin' everything up. Remember friends don't let friends drive thrornbirds!

Drew