Search & Rescue discussion: Cruise Moab

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

Seriously though, if you are asking if TLCA is going to cover search and rescue then 1. no they will not (that is not what TLCA does as an organization), and 2. what would you be doing that you would need search and rescue? If you have a medical issue that comes up on the run, let your trail leader know that you need a helicopter and they will reach out to get that accommodation (on your medical insurance's dime). If you get your truck stuck or broken down, we will figure out how to get it back to base camp. Search and rescue services would not assist in getting your truck back home anyhow.

Also, the particular one that you referenced is Utah County, Moab is in Grand County.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys, I moved these posts to a new thread so we don't pollute the discussion about which trails a new CM participant should choose.

Grand County Search & Rescue would be the agency that we would deal with in the Moab area:

I believe we have relied upon them twice in the 25 years history of the event. Both times we had serious injuries on the trail. I know at least one case where a participant was transported via helicopter to St. Mary Hospital in Grand Junction.

Their services should be covered by your medical insurance. They are not covered by TLCA, Rising Sun, or Cruise Moab.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Seriously though, if you are asking if TLCA is going to cover search and rescue then 1. no they will not (that is not what TLCA does as an organization), and 2. what would you be doing that you would need search and rescue? If you have a medical issue that comes up on the run, let your trail leader know that you need a helicopter and they will reach out to get that accommodation (on your medical insurance's dime). If you get your truck stuck or broken down, we will figure out how to get it back to base camp. Search and rescue services would not assist in getting your truck back home anyhow.

Trail leaders do their best to call 911 and after that hit the Garmin SOS. Sometimes we contact the front counry Via HAM. Once a distress call is placed, the allocation of resources is determined by the agencies. In the Moab area you are most likely going to have first contact by a EMS & S&R. One of the several benefits of advanced medical training I learned in my Wilderness First Responder course is the ability to provide credible information to the front-country medical providers to assess the situation and determine the course of action.

For all we do, I carry the Utah and Colorado SAR cards

Utah: https://secure.utah.gov/rescue/
Colorado: https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/cardPurchase.jsf

Last edited:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Trail leaders do not call helicopters. Trail leaders do their best to call 911 and after that hit the Garmin SOS. Sometimes we contact eth front counry Via HAM. Once a distress call is placed, the allocation of resources is determined by the agencies. In the Moab area you are most likely going to have first contact by a EMS & S&R. One of the several benefits of advanced medical training I learned in my Wilderness First Responder course is the ability to provide credible information to the front-country medical providers to assess the situation and determine the course of action.

ok, fair enough. I was taking it more to an extreme by saying we will get you a helicopter.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Trail leaders do not call helicopters. Trail leaders do their best to call 911 and after that hit the Garmin SOS. Sometimes we contact eth front counry Via HAM. Once a distress call is placed, the allocation of resources is determined by the agencies. In the Moab area you are most likely going to have first contact by a EMS & S&R. One of the several benefits of advanced medical training I learned in my Wilderness First Responder course is the ability to provide credible information to the front-country medical providers to assess the situation and determine the course of action.

I didn't realize that Colorado had this. I just signed up for the 5 year. Thanks man!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
ok, fair enough. I was taking it more to an extreme by saying we will ok, fair enough. I was taking it more to an extreme by saying we will get you a helicopter get call you a helicopter.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member

USARA’s mission is to connect and inspire communities to advocate for addiction recovery. We envision a Utah where recovery community and connection are recognized as the most valuable assets for people to recover from addiction.​

Rising Sun is like a 12 step group for some of us. 🤷‍♂️
Sometimes there are Medical conditions that may cause significant lifestyle changes. Been waiting for over 2 months (27hrs left) hoping to find out about mine and if there are any solutions.

But I won't judge your opinion.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So Mike what I use for when my family and I are in Utah is rescue.utah.gov which is what you posted above. I bought a 5 year plan that covers my family incase we need support and it cost 100 bucks. Also if you have a garmin inreach there are some search and rescue plans that you can purchase to protect you in the event you need an SOS.
20220301_075157.jpg

20220301_075212.jpg

fyffer

Rising Sun Member

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
ok, fair enough. I was taking it more to an extreme by saying we will ok, fair enough. I was taking it more to an extreme by saying we will get you a helicopter get call you a helicopter.

You ok over there Sir?

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
You ok over there Sir?
Just a slight correction so we don't seem like we are covering a helicopter ride. My browser also doesn't play well with this forum and does wierd stuff. Seeing the repetitive text is a new move by the Samsung browser🤣

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Cautionary Note regarding calling a helicopter:

Note......they are expensive and generally speaking, someone or some organization will get hit with the bill if the bird is not government owned, operated or funded.

Unless there is extenuating circumstances, rely on the local authorities (medical) to make the call and manage the site. Since we're talking about medical response and not a SAR's response, there is a very good chance the helicopter is owned/operated by a hospital/air ambulance service/contractor/etc. so they will bill it out as such ($8k - $10k plus depending on level of medical care, airtime, etc...) and your insurance may or may not cover it....Check the small print in your policy since it will specifically say. The only time I've seen medevac aircraft not bill out it's airtime is during an agency assists (SAR's, emergencies, etc....)

Finally, there is a whole safety/operating protocol for dealing with helicopters in the wild, such as: communication, inbound prep, landing site survey/selection, landing, prop wash issues, movement around the aircraft, loading and take-off. FWIW.

Last edited:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

Yarn Cruiser

Rising Sun Member
So, honestly, I think this will be a good question to go over in the recovery training. There are a myriad of circumstances that could come into play where SAR could be a possibility. It's something I have more of a concern about when I am hiking, as it's normally just Ripley and me but an emergency scenario should never be ruled out. Heart attack, stroke, seizure, someone mistepping badly near an edge are things where I would see myself reaching out for SAR/emergency services on a 4x4 trail and hard to anticipate ahead of time.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So, honestly, I think this will be a good question to go over in the recovery training. There are a myriad of circumstances that could come into play where SAR could be a possibility. It's something I have more of a concern about when I am hiking, as it's normally just Ripley and me but an emergency scenario should never be ruled out. Heart attack, stroke, seizure, someone mistepping badly near an edge are things where I would see myself reaching out for SAR/emergency services on a 4x4 trail and hard to anticipate ahead of time.
It's more of a leader training topic I'd think.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
So if you purchase a CO, fishing license for example, it's also covered.
SearchAndRescueFAQ.pdf
COSAR card funds contribute to a pool that SAR agencies can draw from to cover their expenses. It is not insurance for you as an individual. I personally still think it is a good thing to support and do.
Cautionary Note regarding calling a helicopter:

Note......they are expensive and generally speaking, someone or some organization will get hit with the bill if the bird is not government owned, operated or funded.

Unless there is extenuating circumstances, rely on the local authorities (medical) to make the call and manage the site. Since we're talking about medical response and not a SAR's response, there is a very good chance the helicopter is owned/operated by a hospital/air ambulance service/contractor/etc. so they will bill it out as such ($8k - $10k plus depending on level of medical care, airtime, etc...) and your insurance may or may not cover it....Check the small print in your policy since it will specifically say. The only time I've seen medevac aircraft not bill out it's airtime is during an agency assists (SAR's, emergencies, etc....)

Finally, there is a whole safety/operating protocol for dealing with helicopters in the wild, such as: communication, inbound prep, landing site survey/selection, landing, prop wash issues, movement around the aircraft, loading and take-off. FWIW.
From my experience this is exactly the case. Flight for life situations are considered air ambulances and billed to your insurance, which hopefully folks have. If you are in a situation necessitating helicopter/air evacuation you are likely hitting your annual deductible by takeoff. But if you do any activities where you could possibly need an air ambulance it would be a good idea to check your policy.
Just saw this article - very interesting change:

Good to see more moves in this direction. CO has a no balance billing law that went into effect January 1, 2020. Good to see this more widely adopted. The last thing you need to be thinking about when you or a loved ones life is on the line is where this fits in with your insurance.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
COSAR card funds contribute to a pool that SAR agencies can draw from to cover their expenses. It is not insurance for you as an individual. I personally still think it is a good thing to support and do.
I think he just meant that when you buy a fishing or hunting license you're also paying into the COSAR reimbursement fund. You're also doing so when you get a boat/snowmobile/ATV/OHV registration. The stand-alone COSAR card you buy for $12 is for people who don't get those, which is considerable number of hikers, skiers and cyclists. It's not wasted money to put extra in of course but once is enough.

Last edited: