• Hey Guest, the Expo is TODAY!
    ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

scraaaaping sound....

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
posted this on MUD also...

hard to search on MUD for a sound.... :)

anyway, now that is is warm and sunny here and I have my windows and sunroof open, I am hearing a slightly scary sound coming from I think my back wheels, especially the DS. (or so it seems) It is a scraping sound, seems to pulse with the wheel rotation, and when I hit the brakes it stops but a really scratchy-rubbing sound starts that sounds like worn down brake pads rubbing, but I pulled all 4 wheels last night and all the pads look ok. I just peeked at the rear pads, but they seemed ok. Any ideas? I will try and take a look at the parking brake drum this weekend, could it be rubbing or sticking? The parking brake does seem to work. Thanks everyone!

T

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here's my guess: your axle is shifting too far in towards the diff. What you need to do is shim it out further, with a thicker spacer/washer doodad behind the spider gear on the side that's rubbing. If you jack up the rear end, if you shake on the tire can you move it in & out at all?

this happened to me when I took a locker out, I didn't have the right shims and had too much play in the axle (lateral play?) so the axle would drift in and then the drum would start rubbing on the brakes somwhere. Happened when turning right more than turning left, and if I jacked up the rear I could make the tire move in & out a little bit.. make sense? hth...

FJBen

My guess...

your emergency brake...something is probably loose/broke in those rear drums. Slightly pull up on the e-brake handle when driving slow, see if that stops the sound.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
My guess...

your emergency brake...something is probably loose/broke in those rear drums. Slightly pull up on the e-brake handle when driving slow, see if that stops the sound.

the noise changes, but does not go away completely. I plan on pulling the wheel again soon and take a look. Thanks.

T

FJBen

the noise changes, but does not go away completely. I plan on pulling the wheel again soon and take a look. Thanks.

T

Yeah, you'll have to pull that rotor on the rear to see whats going on. If the pads look fine and are seated, it's prolly in that brake setup in the rotor.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
For grins, take off your rear drive shaft and see if that has any effect

You have to engage the CDL.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Here's my guess: your axle is shifting too far in towards the diff. What you need to do is shim it out further, with a thicker spacer/washer doodad behind the spider gear on the side that's rubbing. hth...

80's are full floater....ain't no c-clips there....silly boy!:D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
80's are full floater....ain't no c-clips there....silly boy!:D

Hey I thought he was talking about the 40! Man no wonder I couldn't find the thread on mud... :rolleyes:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
THERE'S your problem...bad brake pads on the rear wheels. VERY luckily I decided I really needed to work on this problem today, so arranged to have Stacy pick up the boy. Good thing...on the way home the brake pedal seemed mushy...then when I pulled in the garage the wheel was smoking. Seems the inner pad got so thin it FELL OUT of the holder so the brake cylinder was rubbing on the rotor. It melted the boot around the cylinder so brake fluid was leaking on the hot rotor. Scary if I had been in the truck with Tyler. So anyway, I have the rear wheels off ready for new pads, which I am getting ready to call around and find and also a new cylinder for that wheel. The rotor looks and feels ok. I have pics but the wrong laptop here to download, will post in the morning. Sigh....

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Stevinson want $350+ for a rear caliper??!! Off to call Cruiserdan...

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
ARGH. He is already gone for the day...Stevinson wanted $350+ and 2 business days, so Monday would be the soonest...said noone in town has one. Anyone know of a used 1 I could find? I will try Oleg. Thanks.

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Oleg has a few 80's with good rear calipers. Guess I will be taking the day off tomorrow to run all over town and work on my brakes. Hopefully I can get done early and start work on the 40. Anyone is welcome to drop by tomorrow for a beer and to make sure I am not screwing anything up and help bleed the brakes. :)

T