• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Rubithon!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
From the Jeff Z. collection, some of Imelda the IFS Master.

View attachment 9617
Check out the IFS flex! In all seriousness, can't complain 'bout that with 25mm Sway-A-Way bars and no winch yet, eh? Right wheel is max down travel and the left wheel has another inch or so to the bump stop. I need the weight of an M8000!

View attachment 9618
Nice wheel stuff and this is the 'good' side (the right side was the pack with the broken leaf). Don't think they'll stuff like that with OME heavy packs, but then again they probably won't explode on the trail either. :)

View attachment 9622
Sitting on pins and needles watching that water line. Don't get any deeper, don't get any deeper... Intake is behind my left headlight, so I was fine.

View attachment 9620
Gas Can Hill. This is where all the learning from day 1 flew right out the window and my brain kept pulling my left foot off the floor and onto the clutch. :doh:

View attachment 9621
Getting some help coming down Big Sluice. I'd already bumped the WilderNest, so Neil was keeping a closer eye on me through here.

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
No kidding Dave - that is some pretty nice flex for IFS!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Here I am limping across the finish line. Photo courtesy of the Trail Teams.

Attachments

• 09321.jpg
    09321.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 581

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Trip Write-up

page75_7.jpg

Nakman in Reno!

page75_13.jpg

Top of Big Sluice. Same upper line as the 80s took, but I squeezed through without nearly as much passenger's climbing. You can see their tire tread marks on the dirt to my right.

The whole trail, it was pretty amazing following the 80s how being just a few inches narrower made such a difference. Very rarely where an 80 might touch or have a wheel climb did I touch or get too unbalanced. My turning radius forced me to do an extra multi-point turn here or there where a Cruiser didn't, though. It's pretty obvious that a regular cab mini truck or 4Runner is ideal for the trail (i.e. Cheeseman took hard lines even, no drama).

page75_15.jpg

Coming through Big Sluice. Check the flex. :)

This is right before my sketchy tire placement became obvious. Steve had already backed me up and moved me over. Looking at the photos now I see the way I needed to be. Hindsight is 20/20, eh? Too high on the right and I needed to turn left more into the wall before dropping.

page75_16.jpg

About 2 feet later. Dropped the driver's tire and the truck tipped right into the wall. :doh:

One of only two times that I found IFS to be less than ideal. With a solid axle I might not have tipped the body as much I guess. But hard to say, though. I only run 2" springs and stock-ish front end with 1.5" of lift and 33" tires. I have ball joint spacers with relaxed springs and stock rubber upper bump stops, the ride height is exactly equivalent to fully cranked stock torsion bars with about an extra inch or so of wheel travel. Running a similar sort of lift & tires even on leafs might have leaned over almost as much. The ledge where your left front drops was pretty tall. Shrug.

So are you guys coming back in 2009? I think Chris' orange 40 needs some closure and Romer needs a few dents. I'm hoping you'll come back and camp with us, wheel and hang out.

If it's a quid pro quo thing, assuming gas is under $5 per gallon, we'll likely be at Cruise Moab.

:cheers:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
So are you guys coming back in 2009? I think Chris' orange 40 needs some closure and Romer needs a few dents. I'm hoping you'll come back and camp with us, wheel and hang out.

If it's a quid pro quo thing, assuming gas is under $5 per gallon, we'll likely be at Cruise Moab.

I definitely want another crack at that trail with a vehicle that performs better. :p: Not sure if 2009 is the year, though. :confused:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

We actually thought we would do the group trip somewhere different every year. BHCC has come up in discussion. Maybe NorCal/RS should invade the Black Hills together! We seem to mesh quite well and I have no doubt we can garther more attention than the Minnesotans that frequent the Black Hills! :thumb::thumb:

Considering I used to live in Minnesota, I really don't have any interest in wheeling there. Plus it's really far from the West Coast-3 days minimum each way. I am considering making Moab a 2 week adventure this year, but have not decided yet.

There is always Dusy-Ershim for you guys to shoot for, but it would have to be a small group. More than about 4 -5 trucks becomes unmanagable pretty quickly.

Something to consider would be Rubicon followed immediately by Fordyce Creek, but I'm not sure the 80s are a good idea on that trail. It's as challenging as Rubicon, and maybe more so.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Andy,
Maybe you guys should schedule some time in Colorado and we could put together something that would wet your appetiitie.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Considering I used to live in Minnesota, I really don't have any interest in wheeling there. Plus it's really far from the West Coast-3 days minimum each way. I am considering making Moab a 2 week adventure this year, but have not decided yet.

There is always Dusy-Ershim for you guys to shoot for, but it would have to be a small group. More than about 4 -5 trucks becomes unmanagable pretty quickly.

Something to consider would be Rubicon followed immediately by Fordyce Creek, but I'm not sure the 80s are a good idea on that trail. It's as challenging as Rubicon, and maybe more so.

You could easily get to the Black Hills in two days! I referred to Minnesotans as they are usually the heaviest representation of non South Dakota wheelers at the event.

I would love to run Fordyce and Dusy/Ershim as I haven't run either before. Several of us that drive 80's have 40's also so rocks just don't scare us much!

What ever the destination it seems NorCal and RS have a lot of similar style so we definitely need to get together more often! Oh, and don't forget to bring the boat! :lmao::lmao::lmao:;)

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
Bump for stroll down memory lane :)

drew 518.jpg

drew 590.jpg

rubithon 268.jpg

that was a kick in the a$$ :D