Rss?

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I use RSS on MUD to keep updated on new threads while I'm "working". :cool:

I don't see any references here to RSS, so I tried cobbling together a URL based on the MUD URL -- No worky.

Does our installation support RSS? If so, where can I go to find out how to get it working?

Thanks!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We had something going for a while, but then lost it. I added it back on the home page.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I was thinking that the RSS feed was a feature of vBulletin. Similar to the "search engine friendly" pages.

I like the idea of listing recent forum posts on the home page... great way to provide fresh content and get more visitors into the forum.

Just checked, and I don't see the ability to publish forums as RSS feeds in the version 3.6. :(

I wonder how Woody did it?

Here's the URL to the 80's forum on MUD as an RSS feed:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=9

wesintl

RS Moderator
Matt, it's code off vbulletin.org Ie shareware stuff. I really haven't looked into it . Right now I don't have much time to look at it either. If Matt or Kipper want to take it on otherwise i'll look at it more at some point in the future is all I can say :eek:

Hants

Rising Sun Member
No worries... I appreciate you guys looking into it. :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Right on, Wes. Here's another note from Woody:
I changed the cache from 60 minutes to 15 minutes for the 'MUD RSS...see if that changes frequency of updates...left it at 14 days and 15 records tho.
Thanks for turning the RSS on -- I may start using it as well.
:bowdown:

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Way cool! Thanks Wes!!!

I've got the public forums working (hint for other users: go to the main forum page and look at the link for each area to get the numeric code you need, e.g. "f=2")

I'm still tinkering -- trying to get the member's-only forum working (requires authentication).

wesintl

RS Moderator
Bump... any questions on rss. Ask our resident user Hants. Hants, do you have any tips on using this feature?

Hants

Rising Sun Member
RSS works great for public forums. I haven't been able to get it working for private forums (Members, etc.).

Here's the link to use:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=2

Note that the "forumids=2" specifies which forum (in this case Chat). You can navigate to the forum you want in your browser, note the ID in the URL, then modify the the URL above for your RSS reader.

I'm currently using Google's Reader, but there are many others available.

One other note: It picks up new *threads*, but not new *posts* to existing threads.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. :beer:

wesintl

RS Moderator
chris got you covered. :thumb:I'm so busy at work...