Roof Top Tents... $155.00 WOW!

wesintl

RS Moderator
The disclaimer on those is they are missing some parts.

No cover and the ladder bolts are missing... Who knows what else...

I still haven't unpacked mine yet :eek:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Really makes one wonder what the true cost to make one of these are...You've got to assume at $155 (sans cover) that someone is losing $$ on these but who know.

Anyway, if you weren't putting one on a rig but on a trailer with a lid or tarp cover this would be a smokin' deal. Heck, you could probably forgo the cheezy ladder and just use a step stool as well :)

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Not disagreeing with you, but $155 is a lot cheaper than 1200 bucks too. Knock offs are about the only way I can afford to buy anything :D

If you think they knocked off the old design, check out the blatant rip off of the new 2007 model... www.car-top-tent.com

Drew

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Definitely knock-offs and I'm with Drew that the only way I could afford one. And, if I use the tent a couple times per year that will be a lot for me so no way could I justify $1200. If I could justify the cost I would pony up for one of those awesome offroad trailers with the tents already built in :)

That said, even as a cheap knock-off I would think the boat ride and delivery to a dealer in the states alone would exceed $155 for these. In any event, the shipping will about double the purchase price for anyone not local to the seller.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
FWIW - The tents Luis is selling are the bottom of the barrel remnants of the first run CTTs. They had problems (broken ladders/bad welds etc.) and were held because they were supposed to be unsellable. Apparently, the factory in China sent some "good" demos for Mel to check out, then sent a shipment of crap tents. Mel goes to China now to inspect the tents at random to catch any problems before they get shipped over here. For $155 it still might be worth taking a chance though.

FWIW - The tents Luis is selling are the bottom of the barrel remnants of the first run CTTs. They had problems (broken ladders/bad welds etc.) and were held because they were supposed to be unsellable. Apparently, the factory in China sent some "good" demos for Mel to check out, then sent a shipment of crap tents. Mel goes to China now to inspect the tents at random to catch any problems before they get shipped over here. For $155 it still might be worth taking a chance though.

are you saying you sold us the bottom of the barrel ones?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Not at all. What I have/had are the last of the good to go first gen tents. The one I bought back in August for $400+ is a good to go second gen tent. The ones Luis is selling as "superblowout", or however he put it, are ones that they didn't sell because they had problems with the ladders, hinges or whatever. They used them as spares, which is why they don't have covers. The ladders aren't bolted on because they sent them out to have them reworked. Did you ever get that other cover?

cool thanks for the clarification.