• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Rising Sun Rally Run - Bill Moore August 9

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Date: August 9, 2009
Meet Time: 8:00 and depart at 8:30
Meet Location:McDonalds at the El Rancho Exit off I-70 (exit 252)
Leader: Jeff Zepp
Gunner: Ricardo Maestas

This is one of the runs associated with the Rally. It's an easy, scenic run that any stock Toyota 4x4 can do. Get out of the heat of the flatlands and come up to timberline, enjoy the vista and have a nice walk around a pristine alpine lake!

The trail is a there and back again, starting and ending just above the town of Empire, which is just west of Idaho Springs on I-70. It's about 2 hours each way at a lazy pace, leaving plenty of time to lunch and hike around the lake. Kids, family and pets are welcome; of course pets must be leashed.

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho Exit off I-70 (exit 252) at 8:00 and depart at 8:30 AM. . That will get us to the trailhead and air down around 10:00, which should get us to the lake in time for lunch and exploring. Back to I-70 by around 3:00; if traffic's heavy I know some side roads to get us past. As usual, ham frequency 146.460/cb channel 4.

Bring lunch, plenty of water, jackets (this is Colorado!), hiking gear, sunscreen, deet or long sleeves, and of course your camera!

Post up if you're in or have questions:cheers:.

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Clarification:

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho Exit off I-70 (exit 252) at 8:00 and depart at 8:30 AM. We will start on CB channel 4, and once we are on the trail we may switch to channel 5 if there is too much chatter not associated with our group. I don't have ham except on my sandwiches.

I recommend long pants and non-open shoes for the hike at the lake. There will be mosquitoes, and the way this summer has gone, the grasses and shrubs will be wet, and it may rain while we are up there. The lake is right about at timberline. The rain can be cold, and winds can whip up, so be sure to bring appropriate attire.

The trail itself is easy to moderate. Most any Toyota 4x4 can do it, and the obstacles have bypasses. Make sure to bring your camera, sunscreen and perma-grin.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to try and make it for this run. Might be the 40's Only Run if Ricardo Guns with his 40. :zilla: :D

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to try and make it for this run. Might be the 40's Only Run if Ricardo Guns with his 40. :zilla: :D

I'm running the 40:D. I'd be surprised if it ends up being a 40's run. I'm sure there are some people lurking on the board that are looking for a nice beginners level run with some more experienced drivers (Jeff and You:thumb:) where they can try their trucks out and learn a bit along the way;).

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm running the 40:D. I'd be surprised if it ends up being a 40's run. I'm sure there are some people lurking on the board that are looking for a nice beginners level run with some more experienced drivers (Jeff and You:thumb:) where they can try their trucks out and learn a bit along the way;).

Should be a fun day. :thumb: I have something in mind for a 40's Run later in the fall when I'll be around on weekends. :cool:

nick in nebraska

Rising Sun Member
yes i did. thanks. i would love to run chinaman with my 40. not to sure on the drive home sat. night. i have wheeled down around bv and it is a looong drive home back to good ole ne. i probably will be towing a 20' trailor with the 40 on it behind the 60 with the 2f. not the fastest thing. maybe sometime when we have the whole weekend and can tow with the pick-up.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
This will be a fun relaxing run....I think I will bring both rigs so the :Princess: can wheel too.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
anyone willing to let a staff photographer from the Denver Post ride up with you guys so he/she can get photos of the rigs in action for the article I'm doing on easy, stock trails?

I'm sure we can work it out:thumb:. Jeff/Martin/Steve, do you have someone riding with you? I'm pretty sure my son will be with me in my 40, but if he does not the photographer is welcome to hop in - so long as they don't mind being in my Siberian camouflage FJ40.

Years ago, I ran into Gaylon Wompler at the Fly Shop in Deckers. He was getting pictures for a story on whirling disease. I recall he had a bucket with glass that let him take a picture where the bottom half was under the water line and the top half was above the water line. He followed us around for a few hours taking pictures of the fish we caught. The front page picture was real cool, fish below the water line in the foreground and my buddy above the water line with his bent rod in the background.

Last edited:

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
anyone willing to let a staff photographer from the Denver Post ride up with you guys so he/she can get photos of the rigs in action for the article I'm doing on easy, stock trails?

Should not be a problem....there will most likely be 4 people between the FJC and the 40. If the kids are with me in the 40 I will kick them to the back or you can ride shotgun with :Princess: in the FJC.

Wait a minute.....Boom doesn't have room in the big ole Bronco:hill:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Hi Sheba! Long time my friend! How are you and how is your '63?

Happy cruisin'!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
If possible I'd like to host a guest from the Post; whether it is Sheba or another staffer. I'd like to explain how responsible 4 wheeling groups like Rising Sun are good stewards of the environment.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm still planning on being there. Not sure if I'll have a seat yet, Kim hasn't decided if she's going or not.

Bighead

Trail Ready
I'm thinking about tagging along on this one...looking for a nice scenic trail for the :Princess: to enjoy and maybe get some wheel time. How are the numbers looking for this?