Reusing rotors - Organic pads then sintered pads?

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Can I reuse rotors that were used with organic pads on new brakes that use sintered pads? I've read where it isn't a good idea, but don't know if it's one of those problems that exist only on the web. If real, can I easily "treat" (e.g. sand, polish, whatever) the rotors to get the organic material off of them?

The context is that I had Guide brakes and a set of 6-bolt rotors that only had one season on them, but have swapped to centerlock wheels and Code brakes that use sintered pads. I'd like to swap my old wheels on for the winter, but would like to do it on the cheap and not buy new rotors for the old wheels. I love the new Codes - they are quiet and they work - so I don't want to goof that up and have to buy new pads in the spring to fix a problem I could have avoided.

Mark

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've never heard of an air tight reason for this bit of Internet lore. Giving rotors a new surface with sandpaper any time you replace the pads is good habit. The idea is that you re-bed them together with fresh surfaces. At the bike shop we'd do it with 600 grit wet/dry.

But honestly I don't even always do that if I stay with same model pads. Most people go from metallic to organic once they'd had enough of the squealing but if I was to guess going to metallic wouldn't need anything, they're more aggressive and will probably clean and bed just fine doing nothing at all.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I’ve never had any issue whether MTB, Subaru or LandCruiser swapping in different pads
It bit me once. I put in EBC yellows and those made crazy racket on old rotors. But then again even after turning the rotors they were impossible for me to ever really have work well in normal driving. It was like the material had the grazing effect (and pedal feel) of nylon blocks with the benefit of tiny deer whistles built-in.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Completely plausible I'm misremembering colors. They were "high performance" and not suitable for undercover work, anyway. Went back to standard OEM and haven't done anything else since is the bottom line.