• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Replacing watch batteries: anyone do this themselves?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a half dozen inexpensive watches (two Skagens, a Timex, etc.) that need new batteries. I called a couple of places near me that want about $20 each to replace the batteries. That got me wondering what tools I might need to do this myself. It kind of galls me to pay $20 to change the battery on a $50 watch.

I looked into some tool kits for this process from Esslinger. Plus I would need a Jaxa Wrench for one of my watches.
There are apparently 3 common types of watch backs. I think I have at least one of each type.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this. I know some jobs are better left to the pros, but I also know that I can usually do most jobs myself with the right tools.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
FWIW: Over the years I've had exactly zero luck with changing my own watch batteries on cheap watches. Throw in a cheap Amazon/HF watch tool(s) and it just mess.

- cheap tool metal resulting in damaged case and damaged tools (both case wrench and prying tools)
- damaged gaskets
- couldn't get case to reseat properly
- leaks resulting in crystal fogging

To be fair and in todays world of "just youtube it" and quality tools, your results may vary.

Goodluck!

WVU fan

Rising Sun Member
I have done the batteries on my Nixons but result isn’t that rewarding. Bought the kit off Amazon. Struggled with getting the battery in tight behind the arm/pressure holder and it seems like the batteries don’t last as long as when a jeweler does it.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
This is the reason I pretty much just buy citizen eco drive watches now. I have not tried to replace any on my own for a long time. Probably have half a dozen in my watch box that need batteries myself. If I’m not wearing my iWatch (love hate) I grab a Citizen.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This is exactly the kind of real world experience I was seeking. Thank you!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm always in favor of new tools and learning something, but sometimes having the pro do it is worth every penny. It keeps their lights on, which might be invaluable someday when you really need them.

I've had my local guy do it even on my G-Shock. Just because it was only $60 originally is immaterial. Spending $20 to repair is less than another $60 (or really $100 now) when I do it wrong. It'll be sealed right, no stripped screws, lost springs...

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
I bought a toolset from Esslinger and have used to successfully change the battery on my quartz watch. It’s from a small watchmaker that retired. I mention that as it might be better designed and therefore easier to maintain.

Stepmurr

Wincher
I have a half dozen inexpensive watches (two Skagens, a Timex, etc.) that need new batteries. I called a couple of places near me that want about $20 each to replace the batteries. That got me wondering what tools I might need to do this myself. It kind of galls me to pay $20 to change the battery on a $50 watch.

I looked into some tool kits for this process from Esslinger. Plus I would need a Jaxa Wrench for one of my watches.
There are apparently 3 common types of watch backs. I think I have at least one of each type.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this. I know some jobs are better left to the pros, but I also know that I can usually do most jobs myself with the right tools.
Esslinger was the only place that had the battery for my wife’s watch.

Bought the battery and the tool set needed for the watch. Fresh battery, high quality tools, & great customer service.

The only thing I don’t like about their website is that I see lots of tools and toys I didn’t know I wanted 😸

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I picked up some cheapo amazon tools and have changed a couple batteries and tightened up a loose part in a Seiko with them so far.
I probably wouldn't try to work on anything of great value with my skills and tools though. Agree on not taking work from the remaining watchmakers, the real independents I mean, not mall jewelers, real watchmaking and fixing is an art we're quickly loosing.