• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Replacing U-Joints

Greetings,

I'm planning on replacing the u-joint by my rear differential and I wanted to ask an opinion: Should I remove the entire drive shaft (unbolt both flanges) or just the rear flange and seperate the shaft at the splines. Of course, everything gets marked before removal. (I've been considering purchasing a dial gauge for some time now, so I could check the run-out of the shaft.) Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm also planning on replacing the "insulator" (at least, thats what Toyota calls it) between the cross-member and the transfer case/transmission. It looks like a relatively easy job. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I always drop the whole shaft. Separating and reinstalling the front and rear parts at the slip joint sounds like it might be a time-saver, never thought of it. If it's good and tight with a good dust boot, you have to remove the zerk fitting to separate or put back together. I would guess it's easier to get the phase lined up right when the whole shaft is out though. Never tried to do that with the front part still bolted to the t-case.

On the insulator - recollection of my daughter's 85 runner was that the x-member bolted to the frame, right? If so, just unbolt it to put in the new mount.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Take the whole shaft of. You want to replace both U joints even if one is bad and have it balanced. Try Englewood Drive shafts on South Broadway (Actually the door is in the alley)

Thanks Ken, I'm going to do what you suggest. Does anyone know of a good drive shaft place in Colorado Springs? Since I'm starting my new job down there it would be more convinient. Thanks.

Matt

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
gcmandrake said:
Thanks Ken, I'm going to do what you suggest. Does anyone know of a good drive shaft place in Colorado Springs? Since I'm starting my new job down there it would be more convinient. Thanks.

Matt

Matt,

No one would know better than the guys at Colorado Land Cruisers :fing: