• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Reloading press

Looks like I'll be getting a press for Christmas! My wife just wants to know what to order. I've been saving brass since I was 15 and have a few now. Never reloaded before. I'm looking at a Dillon 550. Any schooling you guys can offer is welcomed.
I will load both rifle and pistol, several cals of each. I do not need to post a reloads per hour number for bragging rights.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Dillon is a great press (many consider it the best)! I suggest a second single stage also (hard to fault a good ole Rockchucker) as many times a single stage is so much easier to deal with especially in load development. I hope you know what kind of addiction your getting yourself into!

Thanks Kevin! Shawn and his Dad have a 650 but I don't think I'll ever need that kind of production capability. I was beginning to wonder if I'd brought up a subject that was taboo with all the responses!!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Kevin! Shawn and his Dad have a 650 but I don't think I'll ever need that kind of production capability. I was beginning to wonder if I'd brought up a subject that was taboo with all the responses!!

There is a couple folks her that reload. Not sure what kind of resources you have but for bullets i order most of mine from grafs.com They will be on your doorstep in a couple days!

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
The Dillon is great for mass production of pistol ammo, however I am with UB that a single stage is better for load work up. Also for any precision rifle stuff I like the single stage.

Spent some time at Cabela's and Sportsman's yesterday trying to get an idea of different reloading brands. They seem to keep it pretty confusing with all the "option" pkgs. BrianEnos.com has a starter kit for the RL550B. If I go that route I think I'll have all my starter stuff and add a single stage, press only, after the initial hit. Every person I've spoken with says single stage for their hunting rifles.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have a Rockchucker and a Lee single stage. I'm but just a novice yet. Only loaded a little over 100 rounds. I bought the Rockchucker kit. The Lee belonged to my father and is in a box somewhere.

12 gauge press on the other hand has seen 10's of thousands :)

Personally I can see taking the time to reload for any of my firearms that have an aggressive appetite. .223/556, .380, 9mm and even 45acp is not that bad to buy when you consider the time to reload.

But the .41mag, .270, .30-06 are worth reloading for me.

Yeah, This can't be justified from an economic point of view. But then I would have to look way to hard at fly fishing, hunting, even my 100 if it was all about ROI!! Looking at more a little hobby while the streams are frozen and spring turkey is a ways off.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i've been using a rockchucker for a couple of decades. it's easy and indestructible. also when loading single vs progressive, you have a lot better control. sometimes the powder drop adjustment will shift, or a primer won't seat correctly. you will catch things like that if you are doing single. in progressive, you may not.

as for time to reload, i have everything mounted on a board and i clamp the board to the table in front of the tv.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
i've been using a rockchucker for a couple of decades. it's easy and indestructible. also when loading single vs progressive, you have a lot better control. sometimes the powder drop adjustment will shift, or a primer won't seat correctly. you will catch things like that if you are doing single. in progressive, you may not.

as for time to reload, i have everything mounted on a board and i clamp the board to the table in front of the tv.

I have been using a Rock Checker for many years and love it. Ige is right about the issues between progressives versus single stage. Also if you are going to be loading up rifle I recommend spending the extra money to get the Redding Competition dies. They are easier to use and you get a quality round.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I have an XL650 that has been used extensively for pistol ammo for the last 20 years. I also have a 1960s predecessor to the Rock Chucker that I load precision rifle cartridges on (mainly 260 Remington these days). The progressive presses are great for increased volume but you really have to pay attention to what is going on.

I have a bunch of other tools like a Giraud annealer, a Prometheus precision scale, etc. I don't view reloading as a money saving activity; it ensures I know a lost about what is going on in my rifles, and provides more pistol ammo to train and compete with.

YMMV. :)

Its here! Got home from work to find several boxes from BrianEnos.com and Dillon Precision on the front porch! My wife pointed some very sharp scissors at me and made me "back off". Now they are all wrapped in shiny paper and I can't open them til Christmas morning! :rant:

Jim

I'm going out on a limb and assuming you have an AR15 of some sort.

Be aware that reloading for semiauto rifles has a specific set of requirements.

Ignoring some seemingly subtle details can result in the rifle having a "Rapid Unexpected Disassembly" (RUD). This can ruin your day and then some.

I highly recommend you buy a Sierra Reloading manual. In addition to suggested loads for all calibers, it contains specific info on reloading for semiautos including the AR15.

If you are reloading for a semiauto you ought to consider buying a cartridge headspace gauge. This is used to verify your sizing die is getting the case small enough to chamber easily. Oversized cases, cases too being long and high primers are all sources of "slam fires" in semiautos. Having a 55,000 PSI explosion with an unlocked bolt inches from your face is not good.

Be careful and have fun.

Funny you post that up yesterday. Long talks with a couple reloaders on Headspace, yesterday. Not to mention dozens of articles. Think I'm getting the significance. No Ar's, not my thing. Every rifle I own is a bolt action. All my rifle brass has been shot out of my rifles, with exception of some 7mmRm I just purchased. Couple of belted mags that could get interesting.

I'm so concerned about blowing myself up that it took 4 wks before I produced my first 45 rnd. I know I'm gonna die, just not ready yet! Thanks for the advise! I'm fully aware that I don't know everything.... My wife reminds me!:D

Jim

I'd still recommend:

--Using a reloading manual from a bullet or powder manufacturer.

--Do not experiment outside the parameters in the manual.

--Double check the type and amount of powder before starting. Only have one can of powder on the bench when loading.

--Same as above for bullets.