• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Regularly scheduled maintenance intervals

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
So I've read what the owner's manual states and I've read what the FSM states and I've read many a posts...I've always followed the 3K miles or 3 month rule with regard to oil/filter changes and whatever the owner's manual showed for the diffs, tranny, etc. Lately though I've seen information supporting longer intervals for oil changes etc. with the advances in synthetic oils etc.

Since I am new to the 80 series I'd like to get input from the experts on what your recommended fluid change intervals are for the fluids you use for the following:

Oil/filter change
Front/Rear Diffs
Tcase/Center Diff
AT
Cooling System
PS fluid
Brake fluid

Hope this isn't too low tech but I'd like to get a schedule set based on real world experience and stick to it :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
IMO, every 5000 miles for oil changes is fine. The Land Cruiser straight 6 engine holds an enormous amount of oil. And it's not a high rev machine, either.

I drive my FJ40 so seldom that I change the oil once a year, just because I feel guilty.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Use Toyota oil filters and red coolant. I bought a gross of filters from Cdan. I'm about out and need to do it again.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Oil/filter change - twice a year regardless of miles, November & May (after Moab). Synthetic oil, 20004 filters

Front/Rear Diffs - every other year, regardless of miles. Comes with the full axle service.

Tcase/Center Diff - every other year, regardless of miles.

AT - 4 quart drop & swap every oil change

Cooling System - Was done when my HG was replaced, haven't touched it since. I need to do this, and should have done it last year. Every 2 years is what I'll strive for.

PS fluid - Haven't done this yet, need to. Every few years?

Brake fluid - Haven't done this yet, need to. Every few years?

Also Air Filter - Inspect at every oil change, wash once per year (get the new OEM washable one!)

I love to get together some time for a little maintence party.. especially to tackle some of these easy ones.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the detail Tim!

Anytime you want to get together for a maintenance party I'm game. I have a three car garage that I can fit one car into :hill: or a big driveway.

I'll probably have the top 5 items you listed done by Toy Doctor, or maybe Slee when it is up there for the lift :cool:...Hadn't thought about that :doh:

But I'm thinking the PS fluid and brake fluid would be real easy (have to get that dealyo that Ken used first though) and the air filter should be a no brainer. I might wait on the brake fluid though as my rotors have a little warpage so I'm thinking new rotors (Power Stop possibly) with new pads and do the fluid then. So much to do...so little time :(

After that are front axle service on both the LX and the 80 (after CM07)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
20004 filters

What's the deal with these oil filters? They cost ~$8.50 each!

nakman said:
Air Filter - (get the new OEM washable one!)

I just bought a new air filter for my 80 from Burt, and was surprised to see the washing instructions. The old one has no such instructions -- does that mean it's not washable, or that they just didn't provide instructions for it?

wesintl

RS Moderator
What's the deal with these oil filters? They cost ~$8.50 each!

They are made from special Japanese cherry trees that can only be grown in japan and they catch all particles guaranteed. :lmao:

I just bought a new air filter for my 80 from Burt, and was surprised to see the washing instructions. The old one has no such instructions -- does that mean it's not washable, or that they just didn't provide instructions for it?

Personally I'd bag the washable filters even if it's from Toyota. Paper is better (see above)

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Wix filters (same as NAPA Gold, not the other NAPAs) are excellent. I've had some bad luck with Toy filters recently, even the Japanese ones.

Oil changes depend on usage. In cold temps, short trips, don't you dare put it off to 5K miles. The oil does not lose its lubricity, but acids accumulate as well as moisture and that plays heck with your motor, synth or not. The filter does NOT remove these.

3K/3M is not a bad interval regardless of oil. Look at your owner's manual for severe usage intervals. FWIW, most of our driving is "severe usage".

The rest of the intervals look reasonably compulsive. :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Also FWIW, we don't use (eek) Fram :eek: (don't flame me) filters anymore - on my sister's Taco my dad pulled the filter off a few months back and there was some kind of rod sticking out of it (part of the filter) that was ready to get sucked into the crankcase. Not cool. Napa gold we've had good luck with.

Switching my trucks over to synthetic this summer! 3000 miles or 3 months on the oil change, always. It's always dirty.

Manual tranny/tcase - 30000 miles
Diffs - 30000 miles
Brakes - 1/year or two years as it's hydrophilic

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Good comment on the brakes. Most folks never change the fluid.
I use Valvoline SynPower brake fluid in all my vehicles, and a Motive Power pressure bleeder to change it. Easier than an oil change! Pressure bleeding saves the master cylinder seals from going places in the bore they've never gone before (don't ask what happens when that happens...).