Registering a car in CO, that's not in CO?

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
I'll spare you the sordid details, but the gist of my situation is this: We bought a car from a dealer in FL. No taxes were collected, and I have the title signed over to me. We might drive it back to CO in a few weeks, or we might leave it in FL. If we drive it back, then registering it is easy. If I leave it in FL, though, can I still register it in CO? (DougCo, if it matters.) I have a CO VIN verification formed signed by the FL dealer. Will that, the title and a bill of sale allow me to register it? Have any of you guys done this?

Mark

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
We have a car that lives in TN. @DanS did you buy it here or there?

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Yes as long as you don’t need emissions

Not sure if an out of state dealer can perform a CO vin verification though
Thanks Jeremy. I was hoping you'd chime in. My original concern was the VIN ver thing, but I completely spaced emissions testing. It's a '17, and so would require a test. I'll just register it here, whether we drive it to CO, or not.

Mark

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Maybe someone smarter than me knows this answer, but aren't you supposed to register cars where they will exist for most of the year? If this is true, at least in Florida you wouldn't need to pass emissions.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I'm interested in the answer to this, just in case. Thanks!

Mark
I bought it in TN.

….but the previous owner is a resident of CO so it was titled and registered here.

That make it SUPER easy for me to acquire and not need to drive it back just for a VIN inspection (or emissions, were I in a county that required them).

So long story short, I did it the easy way and bought a CO car in TN. 🤣

Dan

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
It might affect insurance coverage. I had vehicles in two different states. Had travelers insurance for colorado, and state farm for another state for another vehicle. When travelers found out they dropped me and said I can't do that. Very, very odd. I told state farm and they were very perplexed as to why because they do stuff like that all the time.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It might affect insurance coverage. I had vehicles in two different states. Had travelers insurance for colorado, and state farm for another state for another vehicle. When travelers found out they dropped me and said I can't do that. Very, very odd. I told state farm and they were very perplexed as to why because they do stuff like that all the time.
It wouldn't seem unusual to carry insurance on a vehicle in another state, like if you have a kid in school, a vehicle left at a second home or if you leave one there for work. Lots of reasons it might happen. Not sure how the policies have to be handled, like with your agent in your home state or one in the state the vehicle actual is or whether it could be either way. But an agent surely would know how to deal with it. Maybe it's got something to do with the policy has to be written in the state where it's registered?

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
It wouldn't seem unusual to carry insurance on a vehicle in another state, like if you have a kid in school, a vehicle left at a second home or if you leave one there for work. Lots of reasons it might happen. Not sure how the policies have to be handled, like with your agent in your home state or one in the state the vehicle actual is or whether it could be either way. But an agent surely would know how to deal with it. Maybe it's got something to do with the policy has to be written in the state where it's registered?
It was strange. Totally normal situation, and I told them so. Lots of people do it. They disagreed with me pretty firmly that it's not ever done. The vehicle resided in the state the policy was written. It was very odd.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I've carried insurance for a vehicle that was registered in CO and it had TX or MO insurance coverage when I lived in MO and TX. They didn't seem to care where it was registered, just where it was being driven at. I also have USAA if that makes any difference.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Funny you guys started talking about insurance, as that is part of the issue. To get even a temp tag in FL, you have to show proof of insurance *from a Florida agent*. However, telling them we were going to register it in CO, and showing CO POI, did the trick and we were able to get a tag and drive home (across the state). That got me thinking that maybe we could actually register in CO, which is less expensive than FL. If the only way to do it is to drive it there, though, that's probably not going to work.

Mark

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Little late, but I just got back to Utah from driving from Florida. Could have trailered it behind my F350.