• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Red Elephant And Bill Moore

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Not really a trip report but a comment on the degree of difficulty currently found on these two trails. I have been driving both for nearly 20 years now. The bottom third of Red E was usually enough to get you to pay attention but no big deal. The rest of the way to Bill Moore was a walk in the park in years gone by. Today, along with Scott Yoder in JadeRunner, the entire length of Red E from bottom to top was enough to keep us focused all the way. This is a pic of what used to be a simple bump on the upper half of the trail.
IMG_8821.jpeg
Hardly impassible, but the rocks had to be dealt with, you couldn’t simply drive around them as the trail was too soft and fell off sharply. Just one of many obstacles that didn’t use to be there. Once you get to the top of Red E it’s nothing technical but still very much rougher than it used to be up to the lake. Increased usage has definitely changed the nature of both trails. Worked for us and it was a fun and challenging four hour loop. The bottom half of Red E is a hoot.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Bart looks like he’s thinking about stuff for a moment in that photo!

Crash

Rising Sun Member
He and I both were. Some deep holes in front of those rocks. Neither Scott nor I had to resort to straps or winch rope but I did have to stack a couple of rocks on one obstacle.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Looks like you had to get a tire up on that rock. Probably a little off camber leaning over that edge… I guess we’re all in it for the thrills though!

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Should mention that a sharp looking dark gray lx460(?) shadowed us on the Bill Moore section of our day. Talked to the driver Matt while airing up and mentioned Rising Sun to him. Said he was going to check the website out.

Killacaviar

New-ish
We ran red elephant up two weeks ago with a 200 and a Tacoma. The Tacoma (long bed, locked, 33s and manual) had trouble the whole way up and took on some bed damage from sliding into a tree.

The last two years has really changed the difficulty of it and it’s such a sleeper, people seem to get into trouble on it pretty often.

I love that run up, one of the harder front range runs at the moment for sure.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
That was a great little run Steve. Good to wheel with you and Bart again. Just like old times. We both had to bump and grind up a few times to get up a few of those first obstacles. A perfect challenge I would say. My Dad has had some health issues the last few years and wanted to get out for a drive. I didn't want a full day with a group yet didn't want to go alone. My brother went too so that was a good time.

My runner is 23 years old now and not as reliable anymore. Front locker is mainly fixed now but the new banjo air fitting started leaking on the trail. So that didn't work. Lugs nuts came loose again on I70. Stock alloys are plumb worn out. Just ordered the same used wheels on ebay. Custom Oleg transfer case skid mount broke again while climbing up obstacles. I will get that beefed for good this time. Same old stuff I've been dealing with I suppose. Still want to do a chainman's run with the club after Muzzle loading season. Probably October.
Red Elephant01.jpg