Red Cone Sunday 9/18/22

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone interested? Probably Red Cone from 285 to Webster to Montezuma. Heading up early to hopefully beat the crowd.

dehru

Wincher
This is Dehru from cruise Moab Top of the World trail you led. White taco with red sliders.

Unfortunately ( and fortunately ) my daughter has 2 performances on Sunday.

I’ve not run Red Cone. I’m sorry to miss this opportunity to hit this trail with you.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
This is Dehru from cruise Moab Top of the World trail you led. White taco with red sliders.

Unfortunately ( and fortunately ) my daughter has 2 performances on Sunday.

I’ve not run Red Cone. I’m sorry to miss this opportunity to hit this trail with you.

No need to reintroduce yourself Sir, I remember you fondly. :) How is the new house treating you?

dehru

Wincher
We are loving it. It’s a great time of year to enjoy the deck. I hope you have recovered from Less than Jake.

I look forward to some photos. And I hope to catch the next one.
2CAE263B-B37A-4A01-A336-CDDB50C18BBF.jpeg

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Is it??? I’ve always thought it sounded like Harry…I don’t know. Doesn’t matter. Love the band.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
me too. I just saw them a couple of nights ago. Weird that you randomly bring that up.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
It wasn’t random, @dehru mentioned it. 🤪

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Ahhh I missed that. I am working on cleaning up the 80, half reading.

And yes @dehru, still recovering. LOL getting old is hard.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Yup, we are alive. Had a great time.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Anna and I drove up from Montezuma and down Webster to 285. It was my first time over Webster. What a great road!

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Fun day, no real problems. Good group. Ran across some side by sides, one of them sliced up their sidewall pretty good. I had a tire plug kit that I let them use. I think they shoved 5 or 6 plugs into the sidewall. They gave me a road soda.

There also was this jeep on stock tires, temp tags, that froze up coming down red cone. He just stopped for a solid 3 minutes or so.

View attachment 20220918_125255.jpg

Attachments

• 20220918_125040.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 86

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+

There also was this jeep on stock tires, temp tags, that froze up coming down red cone. He just stopped for a solid 3 minutes or so.
Really? Im kinda surprised. Ive only ran RC once and it was this summer in an 80, with questionable brakes..that said, I honestly felt like the descent is hyped up more than it actually is. partially why it took me so long to attempt it. But like anything, best to stay in ones comfort zone and play it safe.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Really? Im kinda surprised. Ive only ran RC once and it was this summer in an 80, with questionable brakes..that said, I honestly felt like the descent is hyped up more than it actually is. partially why it took me so long to attempt it. But like anything, best to stay in ones comfort zone and play it safe.

it's not too bad, just a little odd feeling the rocks and dirt letting you slide a little, and knowing that if you get to sliding you might go over the side.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
it's not too bad, just a little odd feeling the rocks and dirt letting you slide a little, and knowing that if you get to sliding you might go over the side.
i get that, but it felt pretty darn hard packed. low/4low n go. The way everyone seems to talk about it is as if youre going to be sliding in and out of control the whole descent. Like I said, just feels like the hype makes it sound worse than it actually is.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
i get that, but it felt pretty darn hard packed. low/4low n go. The way everyone seems to talk about it is as if youre going to be sliding in and out of control the whole descent. Like I said, just feels like the hype makes it sound worse than it actually is.
It might be somewhat just to weed out someone on the fence. It's not a technical descent as long as you don't freak out and slam on the brakes. You aren't going to stop and could start to slide out of control if you try doing that.

I suppose it's like shelf roads in a way, where mentally some people just tense up with the exposure. When fear and anxiety take over you can start to make mistakes.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I remember doing it once after having forgotten to lock my hubs. It made for a pretty slippery descent with me kinda chasing the back around a lot.