Red Cone: "Medium Core" Run for August 19

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So we've got Jeff leading the scenic drive to Bill Moore Lake, and we have the Homegrown guys doin' a hard core run at Penrose.

I think maybe we need one more "Medium Core" run for the pre-Rally Saturday. Something in between the two, with more wheelin' than Jeff has planned for the Bill Moore trip, and less propensity for breakage than the hard core guys will face.

Suggestions?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks like the plan is for Red Cone. I'll post up more details tonight. Who's in?

Details below, in post #14. We're meeting at 9:00 a.m. in Bailey. Read below for all the details.

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like a fun trail. I'm not so sure my trusty drum brakes would be up for that steeeeep descent though. :eek:

87307753-L.jpg

(borrowed pic)

BeatDown84FJ60

Rock Stacker
Lol the first time I drove that trail I lost my brakes on the way up because my rear springs flexed so well they snapped my extended brakeline in the rear. Still had the fronts but going down that hill the rears would have been nice. I just kept the truck in 1st low and pumped the brakes using as little as possible. I wish I could go, but I havent quite done enough to my cruiser to make it trailable yet, just kind of streetable. I hope you guys have fun, thats one of my favorite trails. Ill be ready for it all next summer though if things go according to plan. Thats where the picture in my avatar is from :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I've actually never done Red Cone - in the truck that is.
I took my light Kawasaki KLX300 down it, thinking what's the big deal?
Then I took my very manly (meaning, way heavy) Honda XR650 down it and found out in short order just what the big deal is. Eeek. No stoppie action.

Truck would be fun. I could be down with that. It'll improve my circulation.

E

enzo

red cone

Guys it has been awhile since I have been able to hang out with the cool cats. (kids wife job) seem to get into the way.. If i DONT HAVE KIDS SOCCER.. I am in.

Joe Giulitto
720-231-0851:cheers:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think I'd be up for that. That means my house guest would most likely be coming to that as well and probably Rachel

nelson

Richard says we're in.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dunno. I think they're running a trail down in the Springs on Saturday. We're hoping that many of them will make the Rally on Sunday.

Hulk said:
So we've got Jeff leading the scenic drive to Bill Moore Lake, and we have the Homegrown guys doin' a hard core run at Penrose.

I think maybe we need one more "Medium Core" run for the pre-Rally Saturday. Something in between the two, with more wheelin' than Jeff has planned for the Bill Moore trip, and less propensity for breakage than the hard core guys will face.

Suggestions?[/QUOTE
doug
96 tacoma,arb f/bumper,arb r/locker,4 inch lift,32x11.50x15 pro comp mud
terrians,4.88 gears,sliders,downey r/pre-run bumper,headers,gibson exhaust, k-n fpik filter kit:thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Meeting time and place for Red Cone

Meeting time: 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning

Meeting place: Conoco gas station in Bailey at the bottom of Crow Hill. This is the only gas station at the bottom of the hill. It is on the north side of Hwy 285, across from Moore Lumber and the Bailey post office. Address of gas station:
Bailey Self Services (Conoco)
60597 US Highway 285
Bailey, CO 80421
(303) 838-5170
We'll fuel up and leave by 9:30. The town of Webster is about 15 miles west, where we'll turn north on County Rd. 60.

Bring: Food (lunch + snacks), water, recovery gear, spare parts, jackets, all the usual stuff. I highly recommend having a CB radio. If you don't have one, you have 5 days! You can buy a handheld unit as well.

Afternoon: Red Cone ends at Webster Pass. From there, you can head northwest through Montezuma to Keystone, or head back to Hwy 285. We could also head over to Radical Hill, depending on how big the group is and when we finish.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
nelson said:
Richard says we're in.

I'll be there in the 40. No wife & kids on this one.

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
yeahhh me my dad and mom will be coming on this one. weve got some friends that might want to come along, they drive a jeep, but is this a possibility? or should we keep this run to rally attenders?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Max,

We're usually pretty welcoming to just about anyone. However, I will ask the following:

1. Is the Jeep reliable? If it's a beater, don't bring it. None of us will be carrying spare Jeep parts.

2. Is the driver experienced? If he's a complete newbie, proceed with caution. Red Cone has a serious pucker factor with a very steep descent on shale.

I'm not saying no, but I am asking you to make sure that your Jeep buddy won't be a liability to the group. If he's an experienced driver with a built Jeep, bring him on! If he's a new driver with a 1975 CJ5 with bald street tires, leave him home.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
THIS JUST IN...

Looks like the FJ Cruiser Trail Team will join us for Red Cone. Cool!

Attachments

• matt-FJC.jpg
    matt-FJC.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 244

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
Max,

We're usually pretty welcoming to just about anyone. However, I will ask the following:

1. Is the Jeep reliable? If it's a beater, don't bring it. None of us will be carrying spare Jeep parts.

2. Is the driver experienced? If he's a complete newbie, proceed with caution. Red Cone has a serious pucker factor with a very steep descent on shale.

I'm not saying no, but I am asking you to make sure that your Jeep buddy won't be a liability to the group. If he's an experienced driver with a built Jeep, bring him on! If he's a new driver with a 1975 CJ5 with bald street tires, leave him home.

no its a rubicon with goodyear wranglers on them. he is pretty experienced in offroading. not sure if youve heard of the site www.bigoffroad.com his son created that site.