Red Cone and more BOWAGW 8/13/19

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Great day - trails, people, weather, and lots of mountain goats. Also a long day and I am a bit tired now. I will get some more pictures and a trip report up in the next day or two. For now a few of my quick favorites:

Top of red cone
IMG_1239.JPG

Top of radical hill
IMG_1343.JPG

Baby mountain goats! We saw >20 total!
IMG_1376.JPG

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey, what is everyone nickname for vehicle they were driving?

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I guess that I will go with the nickname that 2001LC gave my car, WhiteLightning. It was a great run. I haven't been on a ton of trails close to Denver, but this was definitely my favorite within about 2 hours of Denver. Going over Red Cone was cold, which was a nice contrast to the 90 degree day in Denver. Driving over the tops of ridges was especially cool. It allowed for jaw dropping views and a sense of vastness that is tough to convey any other way than with experiencing it. A big thanks to Brian and Phil for putting this together.

Heading up Red Cone
20190813_123631.jpg

I like how it is possible to see the trail all the way back into the trees.
20190813_124148.jpg
Seems we have a curious onlooker.
20190813_125348.jpg
Top of Red Cone. Sorry Phil, apparently my subconscious made me forget to take a photo once you 4R was brought into frame. ;)
20190813_130049.jpg
Here is Brian coming down a fun hill from the top of Red Cone.
20190813_131456.jpg
You can just make out Phil in the distance. It is also possible to see Radical Hill switchbacking up the far slope.
20190813_131721.jpg
At the top of Radical Hill were a multitude of goats. The little guy laying down must have been fairly young. Not long after taking this, one of the adults herded the kids away. You can see Red Cone in the distance.
20190813_160013.jpg

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Brian, can you dump those photo's you have in a shared drive or something?

Enjoy the video, I think I got everyone's name and username on here correct, if I messed someone's up let me know. I may still edit this a little more and repost a new video.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI - you need to change the permissions on your video.
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 7.01.29 PM.png

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Ok here is my trip report:

Dropped off the kid at daycare and continued straight out 285. Got to the meet up spot followed by Darin, Phil (w/ neighbor Keith), Ryan and Todd. Rolled up to the Hail valley road to air down, fumble our way through tuning my CB antenna, and headed towards Red Cone trail. One reason this trail is one of my favorites is it has a bit of everything and is the perfect challenge level. For example the trail starts climbing and you quickly get to some hilly rocky sections that require good tire placement and you are probably gonna hit sliders.
IMG_1204.JPG
Unless you got a beautifully built 80 on 35s
fullsizeoutput_17f9.jpeg
You then continue to climb up through the trees with more fun obstacles until you reach tree line. As you pop out the views of the mountains and deep into the Fairplay valley. I do believe we could see down to the north end of the Sangre De Christos just south of Salida. Climbing up and up (only slowed by a J**p):
IMG_1217.JPG
Up up to the top (picture above) and down to the saddle. It is a bit intimidating the first time, but really not too bad. Get into your lowest gear and you're good.
IMG_1246.JPG
Down the from the saddle (radical hill in background) heading to lunch.
IMG_1262.JPG
Lunch on club runs is always one of my favorite times to get to know people. You have just done some cool stuff together, usually in a good mood, so chatting and learning about new people is great. I spent a bit of time at lunch chatting with Todd (@twbland) who is clearly a smart guy since he owns more than one land cruiser. Unfortunately for us Todd had to hit the road and get back down to the Springs. So he rolled back over Webster pass to 285.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
After lunch Phil led us up radical hill. Honestly I was a little scared due to how narrow you hear that the shelf road is, but a couple thoughts on this. 1) Since I have only been driving off road for a few years it is enjoyable to realize my improved skill and confidence in driving and 2) being a little scared makes it more fun when you overcome it. I am a big believer in personal growth coming from putting yourself outside of your comfort zone and while this is just a 4WD trail it still is reflective of this.

Anyways no pictures of the real narrow part, but here is the last switchback right after and me enjoying myself on the last bit of the climb:
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG
At the top we were greeted with a spectacular heard of mountain goats! There were around 16 at the top including 3 babies (kids) and we saw a number more elsewhere during the day.
IMG_1330.JPG
Nice folks despite their vehicle who took our pictures. Of course Phil doing his promotional told them about the Rally. I think the owner said he plans to sell his J**p and buy a Toyota. He also told them how to find this post, so I should make it clear I am just joking and would actually drive a 2 door rubicon if I had the money to build one just for hard wheeling.
IMG_1338.JPG
Curious goat wandering into our picture
IMG_1367.JPG

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
From the top of radical hill we drove across the top of the tundra (AKA New Zealand) over to the intersection of Saints John and North Fork Swan River.
IMG_1382.JPG
I tried to get a "Toyota Trails" type picture with the guys coming across the tundra, but the composition just didn't quite turn out how I envisioned it in my mind. I think some stormier clouds in the background might have gotten the contrast to what I was looking for.
IMG_1391.JPG
Cool photo of Phil:
IMG_1396.JPG
We ended up running down Saints John. As it goes the day was getting on and I was getting a bit tired, so unfortunately we didn't stop to take a bunch of cool photos, but that is a fun and beautiful trail, if not that technical. And let's be honest who wants a really technical out trail at the end of the day. Saints John drops you right into my future retirement home of Montezuma. Aired up and took Loveland pass back over the continental divide for the nth time of the day. Even that cruise back to the freeway had breathtaking views. Good CB chatter back to Denver and I got home just in time to read the kiddo a couple books and put him and myself to bed.

If you want to look at another 200 pictures here ya go:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QaGyukkmHf5xEdAs5

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Brian, can you dump those photo's you have in a shared drive or something?

Enjoy the video, I think I got everyone's name and username on here correct, if I messed someone's up let me know. I may still edit this a little more and repost a new video.

I don't think Darin is J1000. I don't know if he is on here yet, I will text him tomorrow and ask him.

Thanks for letting me come along from the CLC sisterclub 😉. Great day with great guys and trucks. Webster was beautiful too and a nice ride back. Looking forward to more trails with you all.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
J
I don't think Darin is J1000. I don't know if he is on here yet, I will text him tomorrow and ask him.

Ok. I need to recompile the video either way so it’s no big deal to change that.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Awesome video Phillip! and great photos! Looks like a blast! I might be running this trail this weekend. Just wondering how my stock 4Runner will take it....
PS: Jimmy Underhill is J1000

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Terrific report! Great to see you guys get out there and thanks for taking the time to share the pics/videos... great way to start the day!

krice118

Trail Ready
Great Video. Red cone is one of my favorites.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome pictures - looks like it was a great day! Thanks for sharing!

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Awesome video Phillip! and great photos! Looks like a blast! I might be running this trail this weekend. Just wondering how my stock 4Runner will take it....
PS: Jimmy Underhill is J1000

There were a couple of spots that were a bit technical. Most of those spots are in the video. The hardest part seems like it would be not having a rear locker or ATRAC. With the right line I don't think that clearance would be an issue. Maybe an issue with no sliders.