Rear Shocks

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Few questions for those of you that have experience with rear shocks on the 40s.

First questions regards the lower shock mounting post. The previous owner replaced the rear end but did not install the shocks. I did some research on MUD and it looks like I could use the hole in the center of the plate (between the springs and the axle) for mounting the lower post. Alternatively, I could find a u-bolt plate with shock posts. I'm leaning towards using the hole. Have any of you 40 owners mounted your shocks here? As I do not have a lower post, what would you recommend I do to get a post in place?

Shock%20mount%20hole.JPG

Next questions, regards getting the right sized shocks. I placed a high-lift jack in the back corner and lifted to flex the spring and measured the distance from the center of the hole to the center of the upper shock mounting post as 19". Next I placed a floor jack right under the u-bolt plate to compress the spring - this measurement is 15". Without any lifting/compression the distance is about 16 1/4". How does this compare with measurements any of you have for a "stock" FJ-40? Would you have a part number or shock recommendation for rear shocks?

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
Hi Ricardo, I'm the one that you email about the posting on craigslist list. there should be a Bolt that is mounted/welded in the hole, also mistake me if im wrong, but i beleive the stock shock size is 15". Dont hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you decide to go in the other direction, I've got a pair of stock plates you can have. Also if you put the opposite corner up on a jack stand you can get a little more "flex" and get closer to your limits. A lot of guys like the Bilstein 5125's for 40's http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5125.php

edit: let me know if you want these:

Attachments

• plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 231

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the offer Nakman, but I looked through a jar of nuts and bolts that came in the truck and found a pair of shock mounts that must have come off the old rear end. The end that mounts to the hole in the plate is 5/16 with an 18 pitch threads. I picked up a tap so all I need to do is run it through the hole. Didn't do it today because the hardware store did not have a handle big enough. Everything they had on the shelf stopped at 1/2. Does anyone have a tap handle I could borrow to thread my hole?

Here is a picture of the tap and the mounts.
tap.JPG

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
You could use a 12 pt socket and a good 3/8 drive ratchet or even a 1/2 drive ratchet. If you are steady with the ratchet you can cut real good threads. later robbie

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I bought some lower studs for mine from NAPA. They came with nuts and bolted on that way. No threading required. :)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Looks like you're missing the bushing at the rear of those springs. I may have a few somewhere.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I bought some lower studs for mine from NAPA. They came with nuts and bolted on that way. No threading required. :)

Turns out I had the same thing, just did not realize it until I was not successful in making the threads. The tip from Robbie to use a size 12 socket was a good one, but I was not able to keep things straight. No worries though, a 5/8 drill bit made the hole large enough and a lock nut on the back side and the post was mounted.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Looks like you're missing the bushing at the rear of those springs. I may have a few somewhere.

Yeah, they are missing. The Cruiser came with these inside.:D
P1010012.JPG

Putting them on and replacing all the bushings is on the list of things to do.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
With the lower posts in place, I was able to mount up the shocks. It looks like the nut is too small on the post and the shock could slip right over it, so I'll need to add a washer to keep that from happening. I was able to find castle nuts and cotter pins at the Ace Hardware so that is what I used for the top post.

Here is the driver side.
P1010003.JPG

Here is the passenger side.
P1010004.JPG

They are the cheapest shocks I could find as the truck will likely get a small lift and new shocks sometime in the next year. I put good shocks on my Bronco last year and it kept me from moving forward with putting a lift on that truck, that is to say I want to at least break in the shocks before replacing them. With these cheapos, they'll likely stop working and become a good reason to lift the Cruiser.