rear Infinity speaker help

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Sweet :thumb:

If needed I could pull one of my rear speakers for you for awhile to test with. Problem is it would be from the LX and it seems that we are finding more and more subtle differences between the FZJ80 and LX all the time.

I was going to look tonight as the rear speaker covers between my LX and the :Princess:'s FZJ80, and maybe snap a pic showing the differences.

My plan had been to swap the LX speakers into the FZJ80 when I install my Infinities but now I'm not so sure that is going to work as planned :rolleyes:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
:bowdown: Tim,
Can you 3d scan the existing bracket and then make it shallower, without the grille clip tabs and instead with tabs for the four speaker mounting points? :)

... and Titanium! :cheers:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I got my spacers made up, they work just fine.. yes I'll run you a set. So my install is complete until I can get my hands on an LX grill, am hopeful they will work and it sounds like they will.

I don't have access to a 3D scanner. I'd like to get one, but the demand just hasn't been there to justify purchasing one. Maybe if we bought one and advertised it the business would come? I dunno.. but at this point I haven't been able to justify buying one. So I'd have to just measure away and draw one up from scratch if we needed to do replacement adapters.

We gotta get Martin to run the Ti though, we're not printing in metal yet... we've talked about getting a metal machine too and the Arcam like Martin has is the best one out there, but that would make 3 total in Colorado, which seems kind of excessive. Who knows maybe in a few more years demand will be up, problem is that machine is dang expensive to run so I definitely couldn't give junk away like I can do with the nylon sometimes.

I put more pictures up in the mud thread just to close the story there, but here are a couple of them...

Attachments

• nak_infinity_8.jpg
    nak_infinity_8.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 208
  • nak_infinity_12.jpg
    nak_infinity_12.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 211

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Spacers look really great, Tim. Can I get a pair of them? I will provide :beer: :)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I got my spacers made up, they work just fine.. yes I'll run you a set. So my install is complete until I can get my hands on an LX grill, am hopeful they will work and it sounds like they will.

Spacers look nice Tim :thumb:

You need to borrow an LX grill for measurements? If so front or rear and when do you need it? If your looking for one to have I'll keep my eye out for you.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I got my spacers made up, they work just fine.. yes I'll run you a set.

Very slick. Definitely easier than getting the stock grill to work. A little black spray paint will hide the shiny stuff on the infinity grill and attract less attention.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My biggest problem so far with the Infinity grills is they're right at Gavin's eye level. So he walks up and immediately starts poking in the little foam thing in the middle.. it's kind of cute actually, but still..

yeah Jeff next time we're both around let's check out your LX grills. I've got my 80 grills riding along for a comparison, but if LX's fit that's clearly the best solution.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Tim,

Posted this up in the MUD thread as well...

As promised, here are some pics of the grill off a '97 LX450 rear speaker and a '97 FZJ80 (AE for what it is worth) rear speaker.

The LX grill is on the left and the FZJ80 grill is on the right. As you can see there is a difference. About 3/8" difference in height to be exact. Diameter of each is almost identical (just a hair under 6") with the LX cover being about 1/8" to 3/16" wider.

Cosmetically the FZJ80 grill is 100% plastic while the LX grill is plastic but with an actual metal mesh cover.

For what it is worth, in looking at the front grills they look to be nearly identical -both fairly flat. The LX might have metal mesh on the fronts as well, didn't look that close...

:cheers:

Attachments

• 100_5053 (Medium).jpg
    100_5053 (Medium).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_5054 (Medium).jpg
    100_5054 (Medium).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_5055 (Medium).jpg
    100_5055 (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_5056 (Medium).jpg