Rear body panel on 40....

acon40

Banned
What is the ebst way to replace the body panel on the back of a fj40 that goues under the rear doors....can I even order that part alone?

Also, does anyone know if I can change my tailgate and top to a newer style? I am working with a 66.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
I bought the rear sill replacement from this guy on ebay and welded it in. Hes always selling them, there pretty cheap, and fit well.
Search his user name, edntreen

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
The newer style is 1/75-12/78. 79 to 84 is roughly the same but the lower corners are radiused. The door opening is roughly 1" larger than your 66 and instead of a 90 degree bend, there is a second step that the doors fit into on all sides. It can be done but might be more work than it is worth. I don't remember about 66 but you may need to modify the top to fit as well. 66 was the cross over year and the top of the windshield frame connection is different.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
What is the ebst way to replace the body panel on the back of a fj40 that goues under the rear doors....can I even order that part alone?
Best is relative...to your available tools, money, time and talent. For the least dollars, you can do what I did with a free section of 2x2 square tube a fellow Rising Sun member gave me, a couple dollars worth of 16 gauge sheet metal from Ace Hardware and some rattle can paint.

Oh yeah, it does involve welding :)

The complete tech write up is on my web site.

The photos below are before, during, and after.

Happy cruisin'!

Attachments

• sill05.jpg
    sill05.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 169
  • sill26.jpg
    sill26.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 175
  • sill41.jpg
    sill41.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 141